Thread: Help finding an old post

Help finding an old post

A couple months back I recall a well thought-out post addressing open carry as a legit deterrence. I think it was here. Does that ring a bell with anyone? The writer wasn't making a case, exactly, just postulating what seemed to be important questions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nevermind. I found it on another site.

Site Supporter
    I'm very skeptical about any pro open carry argumrnt but do you have a link ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm very skeptical about any pro open carry argumrnt but do you have a link ?
    Just now saw this, sorry. It was https://www.usacarry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7230

I'm still not convinced, but I thought the writer made some valid points that I've not read elsewhere.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    Just now saw this, sorry. It was https://www.usacarry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7230

I'm still not convinced, but I thought the writer made some valid points that I've not read elsewhere.

It shows very little understanding of how violent crime actually happens and takes the fact that the author didn't know about something means it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It shows very little understanding of how violent crime actually happens and takes the fact that the author didn't know about something means it doesn't happen.
    I thought of you the instant I saw the comment about "well thought out" and "valid points" for open carry.

Logical fallacy comes to mind.
    Last edited by Malamute; 07-24-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    This ^^^exactly.

The author also seems to believe violent criminals think like he does. They don't.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-24-2017 at 04:48 PM.

I'm seriously glad that you hang out on here.
    #RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    To flesh my response out a bit, I'm going to copy a response I've written before:

7, but since then it's now 8. (**This refers to cases I've investigated where someone who was OC was targeted for their gun**)

The number in and of itself shows only that it happens. Sort of like the fire triangle, you need certain components. An OC person, someone willing to target them, and the opportunity to do so (ie, much less likely to rob you in line at Wal-mart with 25 witnesses vs at a lightly occupied gas station after dark). The analogy I like to use is OC is wearing a pork chop around your neck. You can do it your whole life in a pool and never have a problem. Step into the sea where sharks are swimming and your first time may be a problem. (City) has some shark infested waters, take your pork chop at your own risk.

I'm not reading through 80+ pages of back and forth on the topic, as I simply don't care that much. The cons for me are being targeted for your gun, which does happen, and being unable to disguise your draw if you are confronted. You become subject to ambush, just like uniformed LEOs, and ambushes are the worst situation to fight out of. People know you have a gun, THEY pick when and where the confrontation occurs, and THEY know you are armed. The robberies have either been by overwhelming force (ie 3 guys on 1) or taking the victim from behind. Everyone gets distracted or enthralled in a task and loses SA. Everyone. You also introduce some of the issues of off body carry. You now have to try and access a weapon under direct observation, which tends to get you shot as you can't beat a drawn gun if they are willing to pull the trigger. You lose the ability to disguise the draw, and lose that leg of the stool of speed, surprise, and violence of response that, in my stats at least, has a 100% win rate for one-on-one random violence encounters. For those reasons, I conceal even on duty when it's an option. I've responded to "robbery in progress runs" that I was near by simply parking nearby and then walking into the business like a customer. I can scout out what's going on without being "a cop" and my response can be both more low key and safer. Then if everything looks ok, I can badge the clerk and tell them their alarm went off. It gives me the luxury of waiting that, when in uniform, I did not have. YOU being able to pick when it's go time is a big advantage, particularly if dealing with experienced robbers who expect compliance as they let their guard down pretty quickly after the initial confrontation.

As for surprise, it's pretty rare for a criminal to just walk up and start shooting at you (unless you're subject to gang hits, crazy domestic partner, etc.) I've got plenty of incidents of people turning the tables on armed robbers by waiting for an opening and then springing an ambush. Just like the above, everyone has lapses in SA...even criminals during the commission of a crime. Complacency, denial, etc. works in their brains just like it works in yours.

[/end thread on some other forum, even]

User Tag List