Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Fenix 5X - Initial Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I've been using the Garmin Fenix 5X https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/560327 for about a month. I am impressed. Two features stand out for me: the integrated heart rate monitor and full color mapping. Although I enjoy my "traditional" watches (e.g. Sinn UX), the Fenix 5X will likely supplant all others.

On the upside, this is a great watch if you're into fitness of most any sort. This thing tracks "activities" from bicycling to trail running to golf. The user can access a variety of reports using the "Connect App" on a phone or tablet. Most cool, and useful.

The GPS nav feature is also outstanding. I can do pretty much everything on the Garmin Fenix 5X that I do on a full-size GPS. Think saving current location, navigating to a destination, back tracking, etc. I have read on the interweb that it's possible to download additional (e.g. topo) maps to the Fenix 5X. I've not tried that.

In addition to the above, the Fenix 5X does all the stuff that "smart watches" do - alarms, text message alerts, etc.

The watch seems to hold a charge well. Charging is done by a proprietary cord. I assume this was necessary to make the watch water proof.

On the downside, the thing is expensive - about $700. It's also a bit bulky. I've caught it and banged it around a bit. No signs of damage thus far though.

For further info, I suggest DC Rainmaker's vids on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...nmaker+fenix+5.

From the Big Empty, ELN.
    Thanks for this, I've been looking it this watch pretty hard. I've been using an old ass 405 for so long waiting for something like the 5x. It's been a long time coming for the upgrade.

Site Supporter
    Is the battery in the 5x replaceable when it starts to deteriorate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Is the battery in the 5x replaceable when it starts to deteriorate?

Doubt that will be an issue as there are guys with F3's who have no such issues with their watches...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    How well does it track anaerobic exercise? The two FitBits I have irritatingly lose my heart rate at times. Also, how well does the shot timer work?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    How well does it track anaerobic exercise? The two FitBits I have irritatingly lose my heart rate at times. Also, how well does the shot timer work?
    The HRM chest band works the best.

I've done some HIIT type of work with just the watch, as long as it's tight it'll keep the heart rate fairly well.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Casey I bought this > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J0SB4L6..._t1_B01EHSMIW8 set of 6 bands from Amazon for $19.95 (prime member) a month ago & they fit my needs. They also have a set of two for $9.95 (YMMV), agreed re. under a dress shirt & no doubt the OEM band price is absurd, quick clasp or not.
    Appreciate the heads-up, but the 5 uses a smaller band than the 5x/3, so those are a no-go. There are a couple aftermarket options popping up now for the five. I bit the bullet and ordered the leather band from Garmin; the black band it came with (there was a lime one in the box, too) is enough for 80% of my needs. I just wanted something slightly dressier for work.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Started using the Nofrills watchface. I like it more that the W4fcool one I had previously. This one seems to provide more for free.
    SC8 is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    SC8 is where it's at.
    That does look pretty good.
    VDMSR.com

My Version w/ Pat Nearby

Name:  IMG_0293.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  34.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Doubt that will be an issue as there are guys with F3's who have no such issues with their watches...
    While I appreciate the information about the longevity of Garmin's batteries, lithium ions do deteriorate over time. Knowing whether the battery is replaceable would be helpful if anyone has that information. Thanks!

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Also, how well does the shot timer work?
    The Fenix 5 is not listed as a compatible device for the shot timer.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List