Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Fenix 5X - Initial Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Can somebody post a pic on a wrist just to get an idea of size? I am considering this one, dunno 47 or 51.

Anyone knows the difference between Fenix and Chronos?

Also, how water proof is it? I swim several times a week.
    http://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/waterrating

The 5 is rated to 100-meters, I've showered with mine and no issues.

The 47 will probably be better suited for everyday life unless you are 6'2+ 250lb+.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Thanks Casey and Voodoo Man for your thoughts. Although the fitness/mapping/smart watch continues to evolve, the Garmin 5X is the best thing available right now. The Garmin forums https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?632-fenix-5X are another valuable source of intel. Best from the Big Empty, ELN.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Thanks Casey and Voodoo Man for your thoughts. Although the fitness/mapping/smart watch continues to evolve, the Garmin 5X is the best thing available right now. The Garmin forums https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?632-fenix-5X are another valuable source of intel. Best from the Big Empty, ELN.
    I have a buddy who bought his fenix 3 when it first came out, still has it. It's all banged up and he doesn't want to upgrade, specifically because it works so well and is so durable. Even though the Fenix 5 is so much better and feature packed, he said he's perfectly content with the 3.

I think that, given what I am seeing right now, the 5 sapphire which I bought will probably be on my wrist for a long time to come...
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Replacement Bands > my lane now

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    My understanding is the 5X is the same size as the 3, while the 5 has a similar screen size but a more compact case, and the 5S is a fair bit smaller.

vm - I tried out the WF4Cool face. It's alright. My go-to right now is SC8, which packs a bit more data on the screen (including seconds, which is nice).

I forgot to mention one other thing I really like. The adjustment holes in the band are spaced much closer together than most watches I've seen, which is nice, as it allows for fine tuning the fit. Most watches I've had are inevitably too tight or too loose... the Fenix gets it just right. Hopefully, there will be some aftermarket bands available before too long, because Garmin's price on OEM bands is outrageous.

I also neglected to mention my only dislike, which is that the watch is thick enough that it does not fit comfortably under the cuff of any of my dress shirts. Not the end of the world; if I'm wearing a dress shirt, I really should be wearing a nice watch. But it is marginally annoying.
    Casey I bought this > https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J0SB4L6..._t1_B01EHSMIW8 set of 6 bands from Amazon for $19.95 (prime member) a month ago & they fit my needs. They also have a set of two for $9.95 (YMMV), agreed re. under a dress shirt & no doubt the OEM band price is absurd, quick clasp or not.

Started w/ a Garmin 405 yrs. ago for logging my mileage on runs + it's durability during range, training, matches & still have 1 as a backup to my current F3. The ability to change faces, monitor text/emails etc. w/out pulling out my ghey phone suits my needs, *especially* @ the range, so I'll keep running this F3 until Garmin replaces the 5 series.

Someone mentioned the Garmin Forums earlier, agreed as it's a VG source for issue disc. or new apps. I also like the Garmin Connect app for tracking both my running & shooting data, this coming from a senior cat that has too many log books from the old days.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 06-24-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Started using the Nofrills watchface. I like it more that the W4fcool one I had previously. This one seems to provide more for free.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0...Dspf5MwMj5NRKw
    VDMSR.com

Can somebody post a pic on a wrist just to get an idea of size? I am considering this one, dunno 47 or 51.

Anyone knows the difference between Fenix and Chronos?

Also, how water proof is it? I swim several times a week.

Fenix 3 HR. Don't have a 5 to compare to.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Started using the Nofrills watchface. I like it more that the W4fcool one I had previously. This one seems to provide more for free.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0...Dspf5MwMj5NRKw
    Using this as well, but it's making my 3HR very laggy. Button pushes have like a second delay till they are executed.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Using this as well, but it's making my 3HR very laggy. Button pushes have like a second delay till they are executed.
    From what I can find it says that this has back round processes (the time background meter) which some watches cannot support well.

My F5 has no lag.
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post

Fenix 3 HR. Don't have a 5 to compare to.
    Thank you. It ain't small for sure. 47 indeed is a better size, methinks.
    Last edited by YVK; 06-24-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Thank you. It ain't small for sure. 47 indeed is a better size, methinks.
    I have pretty small wrists. Here is a pic with a quarter for reference. Didn't think about that earlier. Try to go someplace like an REI that has inventory to try. I thought it was going to be too big, but haven't found it a problem and I wear it 24/7.

User Tag List