Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticks and Lyme disease

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Well after watching my wife battle Chronic Lyme Disease for about 6 months now, we are doing everything we can to protect our family from tick born diseases. This makes going outside to play in the yard a major event and really sucks the fun out of every outdoor activity. We are thinking of moving out of Lyme Disease ground zero (PA) and heading out west where exposure to ticks at least looks better than here according to the CDC's Reported Cases of Lyme Disease. Just wondering if others here in other parts of the US have experience with ticks and can comment on the level interaction with ticks while recreating in the wilderness. It is common to pick 20 or 30 ticks off your clothing after waling through the woods in my area. Pretty much everyone I know has been affected by Lyme disease or other tick born co-infection. I'd love to hear that it's not this bad in other parts of the US.

My brother in law had Lyme's twice. And I know about 20 other people who have had it. It sucks I have been doing homemade tick tubes around the yard and seems to have helped in the yard. However when we go to the park the kids will have a few ticks on them each trip.
    I hope she heals fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by butler coach View Post
    My brother in law had Lyme's twice. And I know about 20 other people who have had it. It sucks I have been doing homemade tick tubes around the yard and seems to have helped in the yard. However when we go to the park the kids will have a few ticks on them each trip.
    I hope she heals fast

Wow-- for the record, I never saw a tick in western washington, and I grew up in the country and played in the woods. They might be around, but I never saw them.
    There's quite a few ticks in eastern Washington and Idaho, but in the woods and range areas. I've never seen them in the parks, and my dogs usually will pick them up if they are around. Can't imagine picking them up in the yard or the park. DEET does seem to work, but I'd hate to have to wear it constantly.

They are awful things.
    Last edited by idahojess; 06-15-2017 at 03:00 PM.

At the rate Lyme Disease cases are spreading, it should be a concern for just about anyone that spends much time outdoors. Permethrin for your clothes/gear and Bifenthrin for the yard/landscape are good preventive measures.

I buy the stuff in concentrate form and mix it myself. There are certainly other sources, but I buy it here: www.domyownpestcontrol.com/
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

It probably should be noted that permethrin is toxic to cats.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    It probably should be noted that permethrin is toxic to cats.
    Funny that you mention that. I've been using Advantix II on my dog for the past four years without issue. (It contains permethrin.) In fact, I just gave her this month's treatment about a half hour ago before heading off down the road to the mailbox.

We used to go with Frontline Plus in the past but the vets seemed to think this a better option in our area since it also works on mosquitoes and biting flies.
    Last edited by blues; 06-15-2017 at 04:27 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I deal with these sob insects daily. I tuck my pants into boots, shirt into pants, spray 100% deet on boots, everywhere clothing articles touch, my wide brimmed hat, and target areas of the body. I have had them crawling all over me, but only one that got to skin, not embedded and still flat (so hasn't fed itself).

A routine buddy tick check does wonders. Getting a shower asap and feeling for any bumps - the nymph ticks are a pin head in size - is crucial as well.

Not much can be done except stick to established trails, prep, and look for them constantly. Or live in a bubble.

I live on Lake Superior in Northern Wi. Ticks have pretty much ruined my outdoor experience in the warm seasons. So many of the hardcore outdoor people I know such as farmers, river fishermen, gardeners, hunters, hikers and people who work outdoors have struggle with Lyme's disease that it takes all the fun out of enjoying the outdoors.

A couple weeks ago I got fed up with it, grabbed a rifle and pack, hosed myself down with Deet and headed out into the Chequamegon National Forest. By the time I got home I was absolutely crawling with ticks. Probably at least 30 or more. Two had managed to get a bite on me THROUGH my socks that were literally wet with Deet.

I give up. I'm moving. Not sure where yet, but somewhere I can enjoy the outdoors.

I hate ticks, and where I used to live in CT was not far from Lyme, CT. I found knee high rubber boots to be a big help in keeping ticks off.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I hate ticks, and where I used to live in CT was not far from Lyme, CT. I found knee high rubber boots to be a big help in keeping ticks off.
    See post 30. Baffin Tractor boots are awesome for just that purpose.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Am I alone in being impressed that rubber boots have been mentioned multiple times in this thread with out the immediate down turn into innuendo about sheep farmers and their chosen footwear.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List