Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Apex Tactical is pushing to revive the .356TSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    My comment the "180" was this:

Since pistol bullets...all pistol bullets...work by punching holes, I'm not sure how it matters if you punch a hole all the way through the bad guy at 1,350fps instead of 1,250fps?
    Hi Tamara,

My goal is not to have a 1,350 fps velocity, rather a 147 gr or heavier bullet going at or around 1,050 fps, or whatever the ballisticians decide best accomplishes the desired task.

Randy Lee, thanks for posting some more information on the revival project. I wasn't aware the SAAMI pressure was that high. I must have overlooked that. When you mention the bullet seat depth can you comment on how much longer bullet a 356 TSW case can accept over a 9X19mm? My thinking goes with your comment on 158 gr bullets and 147 that are the common heaviest defensive weight in 9X19 currently. How long or heavy a bullet do you think would work in the 356 TSW?

Also check your private messages I am sending you one.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Lee View Post
    Hi Tamara,

My goal is not to have a 1,350 fps velocity, rather a 147 gr or heavier bullet going at or around 1,050 fps, or whatever the ballisticians decide best accomplishes the desired task.
    That's the sort of thing that appeals to me, too (I've been kinda off-and-on obsessed with the idea of supersonic 147gr GDHP out of the .38 Super) and I was kinda saddened to see the results of the 147gr XTP when driven at .357SIG velocities. 1240-something FPS out of a Glock 35 conversion barrel and it didn't really do anything the 124/125gr bonded bullets didn't do.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That's the sort of thing that appeals to me, too (I've been kinda off-and-on obsessed with the idea of supersonic 147gr GDHP out of the .38 Super) and I was kinda saddened to see the results of the 147gr XTP when driven at .357SIG velocities. 1240-something FPS out of a Glock 35 conversion barrel and it didn't really do anything the 124/125gr bonded bullets didn't do.
    I am hoping for improved performance from the 356 TSW-LE in the barrier tests over the current Gold Dot G2... out of a 3" gun. But to me, it is equally important that the ammo be shootable. I doubt anyone would argue that even the best performing round will do no good unless shots can be placed on the intended target. Currently, shooting the test loads out of a Glock 43 has been very mild compared to other loads. While they are only the loads for developing the desired velocity range, accuracy has been unusually good- like 3/4" off hand at 15 yards out of a tiny Glock. I will be interested in seeing what bullet weight the bullet designers come up with for this round. That is, assuming both the handgun manufacturers and ammo makers agree with my train of thought...

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Randy Lee, thanks for posting some more information on the revival project. I wasn't aware the SAAMI pressure was that high. I must have overlooked that. When you mention the bullet seat depth can you comment on how much longer bullet a 356 TSW case can accept over a 9X19mm? My thinking goes with your comment on 158 gr bullets and 147 that are the common heaviest defensive weight in 9X19 currently. How long or heavy a bullet do you think would work in the 356 TSW?

Also check your private messages I am sending you one.
    I will be interested in what the ammo makers come up with. Hornady for example developed their 135 gr Critical Duty bullet because that weight gave them the best performance in the FBI Protocols. So if Hornady agrees to help further the project, it may be that a 150 gr bullet or heavier could be used. I don't know why, but a 152 gr bullet sounds appealing.

If I had to guess, I think 160 gr would be a reasonable limit. I would hate to see what a 9mm brass looked like with that heavy of a bullet being launched downrange...

Site Supporter
    Back in the 175 Major power factor days - I used 135 FMJ in my 9x21. I also have shot a lot of 150 SWC lead in 9mm and 38 Super - I like the 150 +/- idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Lee View Post
    But to me, it is equally important that the ammo be shootable. I doubt anyone would argue that even the best performing round will do no good unless shots can be placed on the intended target. Currently, shooting the test loads out of a Glock 43 has been very mild compared to other loads.
    This part is very interesting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Not quite the same thing but I just ran across this browsing this morning.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ormance+Center
    Thing is beautiful. Regular 9mm is... .355? Would you have problems running that through one of these guns?

Not that I would buy a $1700 gun to shoot bullets it wasn't designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Thing is beautiful. Regular 9mm is... .355? Would you have problems running that through one of these guns?
    Like .357SIG, .356TSW uses regular .355" projectiles, but a differently-dimensioned cartridge case..

356 TSW is back

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    First problem will be talking somebody into making .356 ammo.

The Colt AA2000 first run with metal receiver was a handsome piece and the oxcart trigger was smooth. I don't know if one of those would actually shoot better than the plastic production model.
    The ammo is available again and Glock conversion kits are also available. A small consortium of sorts has worked over the last few years to breath some life back into this cartridge. Randy Lee with Hornady, myself with Starline, Corbon, Underwood, and Briley. FYI with Glocks we average 1612 with 4.5 inch did average about 1670 fps with the 6" in testing with muzzle energy at 664 FPE and 712 FPE respectively (with a 6.5 or 7 inch barrel we may be able to get over 1700 and maybe reach 750 FPE or thereabouts). That was with Corbon's new production 115 grain JHP, and Underwoods 115 grain JHP was comparable. Corbon is under new ownership and management and doing much better because of it and Underwood has a great crew. I was also blogging abit with some 357 SIG fanboys awhile back and they gave me some ideas for much higher velocities with extra light/small bullets. We are also working on a 1400+ fps 147 grain hard cast that could be a decent penetrating defensive round against back woods critters with tough skins. And...we are planning for more to come so if you are a .356 TSW fanboy like we all are please spread the word. The more people that jump in the better.

User Tag List