Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apex Tactical is pushing to revive the .356TSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I think the idea of the .356 TSW rising from the grave to take law enforcement by storm on the off chance a department might need to pop a sufferer of Sudden Jihadi Syndrome through a truck door is...let's say it's very optimistic on the part of the guys at Apex.

But, hey, let a thousand flowers bloom.
    Especially since what feels to be the massive current and ongoing LEO shift from .40 to 9mm. I just don't see the basic appeal of going back to a higher pressure, harder recoiling cartridge (and one with significant penetration/overpenetration...) characteristics. And then factor in caliber change/equipment change expenses....I'm not seeing it. The role/niche Apex seems to be aiming for would strike me as being covered better by rifles-which are presumptively already on hand in many cases.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Might be an opportunity for Barney Fife ammo policy, too. No sales of High Powered Police Bullets to Mere Americans.
    Do you have any basis for that speculation?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Nope
    Not even serious speculation, just having fun with Randy
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Yeah given that 9mm major has been reasonably well worked out I would be surprised if this goes very far, especially when there are already established alternatives (.38 super).
    I shot USPA in the transition days of 1911 45s without dots to wide bodies with dots in some form of 35 caliber projectiles, 9mm Major before it was banned, through 38 Super and 9x21. One issue with 38 Super is that it is a "semi rimmed" or such and that leads to reliability issues in the double stack mags - specifically the S_I mags - that led to other versions of 38 Super with stronger brass and no rim issues (38 Comp, 9x23, etc.). The 9mm Major pistols of many forms whether it be 9x19 Major, 356 TSW, 9x21, etc. were pretty obnoxious in a traditional pistol - in other words a "carry" or "duty" style pistol versus a competition, longer barreled, compensated pistol (these were pretty obnoxious too). I put a lot of rounds through a Springfield Armory P9 Open Gun in 9x21 loaded to the 175 power factor of the day (their CZ75 clone) - I would not hot rod a 9mm like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Personally, I have no interest in .356 TSW. But... while we're on the subject of cool, old S&W stuff that isn't made anymore:

I want one of those.
    Speaking of older classics I was in the local gun shop a couple days ago and they had a Colt 2000 polymer frame, striker fired 9mm. It was fun checking it out but for $650 I am not that fond of it.

Basically, the .356 TSW gives .357 SIG ballistics with 9X19 ammo capacity and ease of reloading once you have the cases. This news from Apex makes me kinda glad I kept a couple of my .356s.

I love the idea. Have long thought it should be resurrected. I had a 9 x 23 that was awesome. Very little recoil. The 9 x 21 can be loaded itself pretty hot. I think it makes more sense than the .357 now a days. I can't wait to some real numbers.

To me, the .356TSW is a better cartridge than the .357 SIG for 2 reasons; magazine capacity (as mentioned above) and it's easier to reload. Will it be my main caliber, probably not but I'd love to have at least one pistol in the caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Speaking of older classics I was in the local gun shop a couple days ago and they had a Colt 2000 polymer frame, striker fired 9mm. It was fun checking it out but for $650 I am not that fond of it.
    Nice. I saw one of those in a gun shop by me a while ago. Kinda cool, in a retro oddball way. But gotta be one of the ugliest guns ever made.

The Colt 2000s quickly acquired a reputation for being a total piece of shit. There were both significant manufacturing and operational issues. As I remember, they were quickly recalled, and production subsequently ceased, with the design and tooling being returned to their designer, Reed Knight, after a production run of less than 2 years, from 1991-1993 (according to Fjestad's Blue Book). It was not a high point in Colt's history, and unfortunately the Double Eagle, initially with some problems of its own was concurrently produced, and probably tarred with the same brush (and arguably deserving better, especially with the MK II Double Eagles having better secured small parts under the grips).

You were wise to pass on it, unless you were in need of a decorator wall hanger for the man-cave.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-16-2017 at 11:35 AM.

User Tag List