Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apex Tactical is pushing to revive the .356TSW.

Apex Tactical is pushing to revive the .356TSW.

Just saw a picture on FB from Randy Lee with Apex Tactical and it shows an M&P with an Apex barrel in .356TSW. I've wanted a pistol chambered in that caliber since the '90s.
    I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a barrel, preferably for my USP9 or I'd settle for one for a Glock.

The 357 Sig has factory ammo available , they already have 9/40 conversion barrels and they would just have to cut the chamber in those for the 357 round. I have a 1911 with a 357 barrel and have some ammo loaded a little longer than factory and it will also fit and run through a M&P. Only a chamber cut for the TSW also but no factory ammo.

What would be the purpose of reviving that cartridge?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    What would be the purpose of reviving that cartridge?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Original intent:
    "The S&W engineers created the little 9 mm round for the early 1990s IPSC venues. Their goal was to use existing pistol platforms to build competitive autos.
    Loaded to the same overall length as the 9 mm Luger, the 356 TSW drove 147-grain JHPs fast enough to do the trick. Using a strong case about 21.5 mms in length, the 356 TSW made major with room to spare. At one point, I had several guns for evaluation and enjoyed shooting them very much. Basically, it was a way to hot rod the 9 mm round and it worked." Wiley Clapp

Made IPSC major in a 9x19 platform pistol with greater safety than loading 9x19 major.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 06-14-2017 at 08:28 AM.

I like this idea and I hope it gains traction but I'm not holding my breath. For the past few years I've been promoting the .38 super.... With predictable results..

According to Randy Starline just made a run of .356TSW brass for another company and Apex Tactical is about to get an order as well from Starline.
    I can't wait to see how it plays out. I love the idea of a Gold Dot 147 gr bullet with a little more speed.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    So, during some recent testing in 4LD clear gel, we dropped the .357SIG conversion barrel into my Glock 35 and fired a 147gr XTP and a 125gr Golden Saber Bonded into some 4LD-covered clear gel. Both rounds penetrated the entire 16" block and came to rest, perfectly expanded, a couple inches into the second block...right next to a couple 9x19mm 124gr +P HST bullets that had been fired in a previous test.

A 124gr +P HST or GDHP will expand reliably and shoot pretty much completely through the bad guy, usually found in his clothes on the far side or on the ground a few feet away. What's adding another hundred feet per second gonna do? Make the bullet do a 180° and come back through for seconds?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    All that being said, you'd better cool believe I'll be buying one of those Apex .356TSW barrels. Because I'm a big ol' gun nerd.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I was into .356TSW before it sold out and went mainstream...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

To paraphrase Jack Nicholson, "If it was such a smart idea, how come it's so fucking dead?"

In that era S&W have an idea that didn't get produced. They even made J Frames in .356TSW...just so you battlefield pickup 9x21...or something. Tam is spot on. It's got retro nerdy appeal but not a lot of practical application. If you're going to go back in time, this is the ammo of choice http://www.gunbroker.com/item/655797599
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List