Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mark IV Recall

Site Supporter

Ruger Mark IV Recall

Bought one a few months ago and I've been very happy with it -- but just found this today. Basically if it was produced before June 1 (i.e., you own it), there is a recall. Apparently a hickup can occur if the safety is between safe and fire.

We recently received a small number of reports from the field that Mark IV™ pistols (including 22/45™ variants) have the potential to discharge accidentally if the safety is not utilized correctly. In particular, if the trigger is pulled while the safety lever is midway between the "safe" and "fire" positions (that is, the safety is not fully engaged or fully disengaged), then the pistol may not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, if the trigger is released and the safety lever is then moved from the mid position to the "fire" position, the pistol may fire at that time. We have conducted additional testing and have confirmed this condition. Because we are firmly committed to safety, we would like to retrofit all potentially affected pistols with an updated safety mechanism.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIV.../index.php?r=y

I of course bought one on Friday, before I had heard of the recall.

Naturally, it has a serial number that tells me I have to send it back.

Sigh.

Site Supporter
    The good thing is you only have to send the bottom part back. Not that the top will do you much good, but the top has the serial number, so it sounds like everything can go USPS.

Yeah, I am waiting on a shipping container and label. They will send it when they are ready to work on it, and are supposed to turn it around in 10 days.

They'll pay shipping both ways and give me a free magazine for my troubles.

I'd already bought and mounted a Vortex Venom RDS, and was looking forward to sighting it in this weekend. Now I get to wait and wait.......

Another sigh.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yeah, I am waiting on a shipping container and label. They will send it when they are ready to work on it, and are supposed to turn it around in 10 days.

They'll pay shipping both ways and give me a free magazine for my troubles.

I'd already bought and mounted a Vortex Venom RDS, and was looking forward to sighting it in this weekend. Now I get to wait and wait.......

Another sigh.
    I'd go shoot crud out of it. At the range, just don't use the safety at all. Load, shoot, load, shoot. Have fun. When you get your shipping label, take it apart and send the needed parts in.

Thanks for the heads up, mine is affected...just got on the list, could always use another mag. Glad they are handling the recall as they are, I'd have a hard time parting with it for long. Love that gun, more accurate in my hands than anything else I own.

Has anybody been able to replicate the issue on their own guns? I wasn't able to.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    I also wasn't able to, about impossible to get my safety into the middle position, and even when I can it won't let the trigger be pulled. Mk 22/45

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    I also wasn't able to, about impossible to get my safety into the middle position, and even when I can it won't let the trigger be pulled. Mk 22/45
    I haven't tried to duplicate the malfunction, but the safety on mine is easy to get in a mid-way position when I operate the right-side lever (the left-handed safety). The right handed safety has a more positive two position movement. It's us damn lefties (as in handed's) fault.

Never use the safety, it's not a gun that requires that. It's either loaded or locked back and open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List