Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ratcheted belts

Ratcheted belts

Anyone have any experience with the different ratcheted belts, like mission belt vs Kore vs RGB?

I have relentless tactical belts, but like the idea of a more precise fit.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have a Kore Gun Belt which I wear every day. Never felt the need to try anything else.

I went to the websites for those other ratchet belts. They don't say where they're made, so I'll assume China or Pakistan. They look like they may have originally marketed as fashion or golf belts.

This belt looks very appealing to me, though I personally don't like the shape of the buckle. 100% made in USA.

https://www.boxertactical.com/product/apogee-belt-1-5/

I've used a Kore X3 and Boxer Tactical Apogee. Both worked fine and were easy to set up. The Kore has a nice moderate stiffness to it...obviously personal preferences vary, I'm sure it's nowhere near as stiff as some of the heavy-duty leather gun belts out there (never owned anything like that), but it's appropriate for EDC IMO. The adjustment lever is small but it's easy to adjust once you get used to it, the tail slides smoothly through the buckle. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend against the Boxer, personally I was a little underwhelmed. I really like Biothane, but I didn't care for the variant they used -- it is a little flimsier than my Maxpedition Liger, and slightly tackier so it is not as easy to adjust as the Kore. The buckle is definitely solid and well-made, but it is bulky, so you kinda either love it or hate it. Personally I prefer a more minimalist buckle, and after making a few customizations I've decided the Liger is it for me and I'll be listing the others for sale when I get around to it.

I bought a ratchet belt to try off of Amazon first in October. (wasn't sure the concept worked well sub $20 Xhtang) From what I could tell, its design was similar to most of the ones out there and I found a problem with it. Several brands I have seen, all use this toothed door, to flip into the belt to secure the buckle to it. I found the buckle will pop open and I have caught it several times on the way to the toilet/urinal. My quick and dirty fix (what I had) was to put a strip of duct tape over the door section and hold it all shut.
    So when I ordered a ratcheting gun belt, I bought the RGB one due to that. You poke holes and use set screws to secure the buckle to the belt. (directions and website directions don't match, they are supposedly changing that)
    It also appeared to me to be constructed more like ones my father would make us for Christmas (I would get 5-10 years out of them) and since I couldn't find easily, or on a secured sight, the mechanism, I couldn't use his old tooling to make one.
    I plan on getting another belt, for the rare times when I would want the other color, and for that I am going for the only other model I know, that also used screws, in this case, as well as the teeth: Nexbelt. From the product description, it isn't as heavy duty as RGB, but it also doesn't have the cost, where the RGB is an everyday belt for me. It appears closer to the construction of the other belts.
    I am thinking I might dissect my original belt, use parts, modify the buckle and try to make my own with the old tooling as well. The old belt started falling apart when I started trying to put tight holders over it. (would hold the holster ok as it had strap holes but clip on stuff, separated the belt over the last month)
    Last edited by beenalongtime; 06-14-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Why a ratcheting belt?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Why a ratcheting belt?
    May be a better fit. As of now, it's either a bit too tight for when I sit down for long periods, and the next notch is a bit too loose and the belt sags with a G19.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I prefer a ratchet belt. Easier adjustment on the fly without the sound of Velcro alerting everyone you're arming/disarming/dropping trou. I wish one existed that looked good and lasted. I'd love a real leather one.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

No affiliation and I don't have one of these, however they look pretty interesting. There is a 20% coupon for them too.
    https://www.nexbelt.com/collections/leather-gun-belts

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader8207 View Post
    No affiliation and I don't have one of these, however they look pretty interesting. There is a 20% coupon for them too.
    https://www.nexbelt.com/collections/leather-gun-belts

I have the black tacticool non leather version. It is 1.25" FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

User Tag List