Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Week 14: iHack

Ready position

S-1: 3/9
    S-2: 6/9
    S-3: 6/9
    S-4: 6/9

Aggregate score: 21/36

I mostly pulled it together on this one. I used my usual Gen3 G34, stock except for Ameriglo Defoor sights.

First, I tried the iHack engaging from threat ready (without getting into a huge ready position discussion in this thread, threat ready as taught to me is basically low ready, but with the muzzle lowered only enough to see the hands. In this case, I lowered the muzzle to the bottom edge of the upside-down cardboard silhouette I affixed the 2" circle target to.)

Starting position: threat ready
    Hits for the four runs: 9, 9, 8, 7
    Aggregate score: 33/36

I didn't record all the times, but noted that the first shot from threat ready was about .7-ish, and the last shot was about 2.5-ish.

[IMG] iHack_Ready_Strings_1_and_2 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG] iHack_Ready_Strings_3_and_4 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then I shot it from the holster with concealment. I skipped the 'holstered without concealment' option, because I never, ever practice without concealment and I don't think there would be much benefit for me, since all my trained motions and mechanics account for the presence of a concealment garment.

Starting position: AIWB, concealed with a closed-front shirt, hands hanging
    Hits for each of the four runs: 9, 7, 8, 7
    Aggregate score: 31/36

I didn't record all the times, but noted that the first shot from AIWB was about 1.3-ish, and the last shot was about 2.9-ish.

[IMG] iHack_AIWB_Strings_1_and_2 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG] iHack_AIWB_Strings_3_and_4 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

The key for me this time, and probably most of the time, is mental and visual patience. The time frames are short and this was a moment of me controlling myself and not shooting until I saw the needed precision in the sight picture and felt the needed smoothness in the trigger press (mostly.) I still got done under time. I should really work with PAR times much more than I do. I think they help me manage my mind better than an open-ended timing arrangement.

The recent posts by some of the other members here about returning to the enjoyment of shooting really resonated with me, is something I know I need to remember to do, and I think helped me be calmer shooting this drill. I wasn't so damn concerned with how I was going to shoot. I got to shoot and that was fun. So I stuck to aligning the sights and pressing the trigger for the most part.

My subjective feeling is the same as Caleb's; the iHack feels way harder than the actual Hackathorn Head Shot Standards. I ran out of time or I would have shot an immediate direct comparison to turn that subjective feeling into a more objectively-founded opinion, whatever the results. I am not sure whether the easier transition distance on the iHack makes up for the vastly smaller target area. I note that the head for the regular Hackathorn Head Shot Standards is 36 square inches in area. A 2" circle is 3.14 square inches, a scant 9% the size of the whole head box. Might be fun to try doing the Hackathorn Head Shot Standards with IPSC targets and confining the target area to the little upper A-zone.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    ...because I never, ever practice without concealment
    As great as the shooting you report may be, this is the coolest thing about your post. That's something I can aspire to, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorpogo View Post
    As great as the shooting you report may be, this is the coolest thing about your post. That's something I can aspire to, thank you.
    Well thanks!

I come from a 'tactical defensive handgun' background, but have redirected myself to a pursuit of very refined 'technical defensive handgun' skills. This community has been an important part of that endeavor. Many things remain from the 'tactical' training, like running the gear I walk around with all the time, with the clothes I actually wear.

We are diminished
    My subjective feeling is the same as Caleb's; the iHack feels way harder than the actual Hackathorn Head Shot Standards.
    It absolutely is. I can clean the normal version without breaking a sweat. I can't even guarantee a passing score every run from concealment on the iHack.

ok, I ran this drill cold, i have not fired a live round in a month, I have been doing quite a bit of dry fire, but I can tell I have slowed way down, and can't seem to get to my sights as fast.
    Here are my results:
    String 1
    1. 2.43 -1
    2. 2.43 -0
    3. 2.98 -0
    so far so good, I said to myself "this will be easy"
    String 2
    1. 2.83 -0 (then the weels fell off)
    2. 2.93 -2
    3. 2.79 -2
    String 3
    1. 2.81 -2 (now I am not picking up my sights at all)
    2. 2.61 -1 (still no sights, but i managed 2 hits)
    3. 2.67 -2 (we dont need no stinking sights! )
    I holstered my gun, took a min to re-group, loaded my mags, and told my self to slow down and look at my darn sight.
    String 4
    1. 2.98 -0
    2. 2.84 -0 (finally, I am gonna clean one of these things, Right?)
    3. 3.15 -1 (S#($*@&&$)_%*#&@)

5yds, from the low ready

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    It absolutely is. I can clean the normal version without breaking a sweat. I can't even guarantee a passing score every run from concealment on the iHack.
    Yeah, I hear you. The grease ring was my best buddy a few times on this drill.

Yeah, I hear you. The grease ring was my best buddy a few times on this drill.
    On the passing runs I had from the holster, I was, to quote Todd "saved by the grace of John Moses Browning's big bullets."

Ran this drill today. Weather was great for January in Ohio.

Started with my old Gen 3 G-17 that I have been shooting in IDPA for the last few years.

All runs were from a high compressed ready.

First run cold.

4/9, 8/9, 7/9 & 6/9. 25/36. Pretty disappointing to me being that I am an IDPA 5-gun Master.

I had to do it again.

9/9, 8/9, 8/9, 9/9. Ha, that's better. 34/36.

Then I ran it with my Gen 3 G-17 with CTC 417 laser grips. The laser made a difference. There is a slight offset with the laser, but as long as I kept the laser in the lower right of the circle, I did OK.

8/9, 7/9, 8/9, 7/9. 30/36

Another run with the laser, 8/9, 7/9, 8/9, 7/9. 30/36

Some things learned. I think every miss was a trigger snatch. I need more practice on small targets. Shooting a lot of IDPA, the smallest target we usually see is the 6 inch head box.

Todd is going to make me a better shooter with these drills.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Pretty disappointing to me being that I am an IDPA 5-gun Master.

I think every miss was a trigger snatch.
    I've seen some document floating around the internet that had your results from an IDPA classifier you ran clean in 62.50 seconds and was hugely impressed with that.

When you snatched the trigger on the iHack, is your perception that you did not take enough time pressing the trigger, or that you took enough time but did it badly, or something else?

Thanks!

User Tag List