Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 14: iHack

We are diminished

Week 14: iHack

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 14: iHack
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 9-January-2012.

designed from the Hackathorn 3-Second Headshot Standards
    Range: 5yd
    Target: three 2" circles (.pdf target downloadable here)
    Start position: varies (see below)
    Rounds fired: 36

The iHack is an indoor range friendly version of the famous Hackathorn 3-Second Headshot Standards. The targets are much closer together but also significantly smaller than the regular version of the drill.

PAR time is set to three seconds for each string. There are three strings of fire.

1. Fire one (and only one) shot at each target, going from left to right
    2. Fire one (and only one) shot at each target, going from right to left.
    3. Fire one (and only one) shot at each target, beginning with the middle target and then finishing with the two outside targets in any order.

Shots fired after the 3-second PAR time count as misses. In total, you will fire nine rounds (three shots in three seconds, times three strings of fire) for each run of the drill. A "passing" score is 7 out of 9.

There are three "levels" to the drill based on start position for each 3-shot string. From easiest to hardest, they are: ready position (pistol cannot be pointed at the target), open top holster with no concealment, and either concealed or retention holster. You can choose whichever ready position you wish. If the drill proves too hard or easy, switch to a different "level" as appropriate.

Shoot the drill a total of four times (36 shots).

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • starting position (ready position, open holster, retention holster, or concealed)
    • hits for each of the four runs
    • aggregate score

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Well this was a total clusterf*&k.
    Too many people on the range, so I couldn't holster.
    Too many people on the range, so it took me 50 rounds to fire 36, b/c my shot timer kept picking up other shots (not that those runs were any better).

On to the gory details:
    starting position: resting on the table loaded with my hands down by my side.
    hits for each of the four runs: everything was over, so my strings were:
    String 1: 2 misses and 3.90 (0); 1 miss and 3.96 (1); all misses 3.88 (0)
    String 2: 2 misses 4.16 (0); 2 misses 3.71 (0); 1 miss 3.80 (1)
    String 3: 2 misses 3.38 (0); all misses 3.28 (0); 2 misses 2.94 (0)
    String 4: ran out of ammo. Will have to try and do the whole drill later this week.
    aggregate score: 2 POINTS! Yay!

Needless to say, my misses weren't far off, but it ain't horse shoes or hand grenades, so I get no mercy.

Hopefully, I'll run this drill again and I'll go slower for 100% hits and screw the time.

This is a sobering drill.
    Last edited by BaiHu; 01-02-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Yeah, this ones hard, at least for me.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

We are diminished
    BaiHu -- Why not do it from the ready position? That's one of the allowable start positions.

Well, that was bad.

From concealment, closed-front sweatshirt, G17 in Archangel AIWB

No "passing" scores on any run.
    1: 4/9
    2: 5/9
    3: 4/9
    4: 5/9
    Total: 18/36 Bleh.

Times were consistently about 2.65-2.69. And those misses (in general) made a nice little collection about 0.25-0.50 inches outside the circle at 4 o'clock. Sights were nicely in alignment, draw was pretty consistent---and my trigger control (more precisely, the lack thereof) consistently yanked the shots down. (I did have a couple of really horrible flyers, too.)

[sigh] More dry fire practice.

I may have to run this in the original. I can HIT headshots in a 6x6 box at that distance, and the larger transitions don't bother me, and it would make me feel much better about myself. (Hm. I should have added "I think" to the beginning of that sentence, in case I blow that, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    BaiHu -- Why not do it from the ready position? That's one of the allowable start positions.
    I will be redoing this in its entirety sometime this week-hope it gets warmer.
    I'll probably do it 2 ways and MUCH slower to get hits-I was freezing my arse off too

We are diminished
    Please let the massive utter public humiliation of BaiHu and jthhapkido serve as warning to all who follow...

Shoot the drill from the ready position unless you are confident you can make those hits in the timeframe offered from a holster.

Seriously, guys, the bar is set high on this one. Ken tells students that there is only one unit he's worked with that the average guy can score 7 on the regular version from a holster. When I usesteal it in class, I always recommend that students do it from the ready the first time. The iHack version is substantially harder.

There's no rule against doing it twice. So give it a whirl from the ready and then if you pass try it from the holster.

Site Supporter
    well, unfortunately I ran this before checking the forum and seeing Todd's warning. So, here was my horrible attempt...

starting position: concealed aiwb under a closed front garment.

String 1: 3.75 (2 misses), 4.20 (2 misses), 3.39 (1 miss)
    String 2: 3.73 (2 misses), 4.21 (2 misses), 3.62 (1 miss)
    String 3: 3.64 (2 misses), 4.35 (2 misses), 3.74 (1 miss)
    String 4: 3.68 (1 miss), 4.15 (1 miss), 4.15 (1 miss)
    aggregate score: 0 POINTS!

G17 w/RMR07 AIWB from Fricke Seraphim holster under a wool sweater and soft shell TNF vest.

Before I ran the iHack, I cold shot all three Defoor Pistol tests in order from 1-3 and passed all. Then I shot the 99 drill (DOW 10) on 4x6 cards and got an 85. Finally I ran the FAST drill 6 times with a best clean score of 5.50 sec.

Feeling properly warmed up, it was time for iHack. I moved up closer to the 5 yd line. Bang, bang, bang--2.76 sec; WTF all low misses...dang sight above bore height with the RMR is an issue for me up close. Slowed it down and aimed a bit high while shooting back the other direction--all in the circles, but one was too late at 3.1 sec. Then a 2.98 sec starting with the center circle, all good for a total of 5/9 on the first run. String 2 all hits, but several too slow for another 5/9. String 3 was better with 1 too slow and 2 near misses for 7/9. Decided to speed up on string 4, all good on time, but several shots were too low for a 6/9. Basically I sucked donkey balls on this drill...

String 1: 5/9
    String 2: 5/9
    String 3: 7/9
    String 4: 6/9

Total = 23/36

The sight over bore issue using the RMR is a bit problematic for me up close on small targets, but becomes moot beyond around 10 yds or so--I absolutely HATE 2" circles at 5 yds...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Please let the massive utter public humiliation of BaiHu and jthhapkido serve as warning to all who follow...
    *BOW*

Thank you, thank you...

At least my score stood out for SOMETHING!

User Tag List