Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What sets the preferred holsters apart?

Voodoo, I think we're saying the same thing about holsters and watches. My old school, one piece-folded into holster and loops holsters still hold a pistol, but I much prefer the wide stance/stability, concealment, and comfort of more recently made holsters. The old stuff has been relegated to being pistol holders in the range bag.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Ease of concealment through proper gun positioning (wedge, etc), lack of hotspots, good retention/fit to the gun, high quality hardware. It's as easy and discrete for me to carry a 3" K frame in a jmck george with a wedge as it is for me to carry a J in a DSG clip on (also a great holster, btw). And both of those are so far above the generic and non "preferred" custom holsters in my drawer, it's amazing. I have had several aiwb holsters from local folks that looked good, but they both hurt to drive with after about an hour, and look like I have a tumor if I wear a shirt that fits.

For me since I carry actually concealed (IWB or AIWB), design counts first and foremost. My priorities with design are comfort and concealment. I don't consider an OWB pancake holster to be "concealed" unless it's winter. After that, it's a tossup between warranty (will the manufacturer stand behind the holster if it breaks) and durability (will the holster fall off your belt in line at the food court?). I have no doubts about the various manufacturers I list below with regards to both warranty and durability.

We're in AIWB salad days with holsters. There's many good choices to choose from. I own JMCK, Mastermind, CCC, and VDEVgru AIWBs. Honestly, I choose my AIWB holster of the day based upon clothing (trousers/shorts) design and fit. I don't have the time to dick around with changing shit on a holster and hate doing so when I do adjust ride/height. I ran the VDEVgru Seraph in the Gabe White PSS class this past weekend and if a holster was going to bobble in the class and weather environment, this would have been the time. It did not and might be the most adjustable AIWB I own. I'm getting ready to drive across country for a funeral and I'll probably be taking at least two AIWB holsters and one IWB holster because one size does not fit all, plus the IWB is for tucked in shirt and outside activities. NOT riding horses and gathering cattle carrying AIWB. NOPENOPENOPE
    #RESIST

This is a good thread for many who may be just getting started in shooting and/or carrying concealed.
    I think most here probably have a drawer or cabinet full of gear, especially holsters, that just didn't work out for us. I know I do. However, one that doesn't work for me might work great for someone else.
    Having read the entire thread and read excellent ideas about that constitutes a "preferred" holster I'd add that said holster should have some basic attributes.
    Most here on PF already know this but some visiting for info might not.
    IMHO.
    A holster should retain a loaded gun whether passively or actively. Whether running, jumping, rolling on the ground or upside down.
    The top should remain open so that the gun can be re-holstered without assistance from the non gun holding hand.
    The holster should cover enough of the trigger guard so that the trigger cannot be accessed inadvertently or prior to the draw.
    If using active retention, that retention should not be released by the trigger finger (IMHO) especially if one is new to shooting or concealed carrying.
    It can be additionally helpful if one attends training classes (we do train right?) if the holster allows access to the magazine release so that mags can be taken out and replaced while the gun remains in the holster.
    It must be comfortable to wear, all day if necessary, ergonomically accessible, and efficient.
    I admire the workmanship and craft that go into holster designs. As a concealed carrier nobody ever sees my holster so it could be made out of discarded pigs ears as long as it meets basic criteria.
    Lastly, if one chooses to use a belt to carry the holster it should be a sturdy belt designed for that purpose.
    YMMV
    Carry on
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Late again!

I just thought I'd add my thoughts to the already good info put out here.

To the OP's question, (para)"Why you guys instead of them?"

We have the benefit of having a great group of people who rely on their concealed carry guns daily and take their training and gear seriously. The feed back from one of "Those Guys" is worth it's weight in lead, uh gold. Yeah gold. Not that the average Joe doesn't have good information and opinion, it's just easier to get that info from someone who speaks the language as it were.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I didn't start making holsters to make money. I started because I saw a void that I thought I could fill. I was fortunate enough to have folks like TLG and his friends take notice of me and work with me by demanding products that perform and meet their high standards. I strive to keep that principle in every holster I make. Whether it's an AIWB or a simple IWB Taco wrap. Everything is made with the same attention to detail. You can't really accomplish that and get big enough to get rich at it, so it has to be a labor of love. I still love doing one off custom work. I lose my ass doing it as the time involved can never be compensated fairly to the customer, but I'll never stop doing it. I love to create something tangible from an idea. Mine or the customers, it really doesn't matter who's brain storm it was.

$0.02, YMMV
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Thank you everyone for the insightful feedback thus far. It's good to have these specifics on holster preferences more clearly articulated.

I'm one who has utilized some of the more popular/lower quality holsters and thought nothing of it until I came here and had my eyes opened. Relatively inexpensive and a rapid availability are what drove me (and many others) to acquire such holsters. Particularly when one is new to carrying, getting something cheap and quick to start carrying is attractive when you spend $500+ on a quality firearm for self-defense.

Getting folks, such as myself, to realize how much a difference these higher quality holsters like the ones endorsed here make is the task. Sure some won't care and are content with their generic, mass-produced holster that does the job "good enough", but some can be shown what they're missing out on.

So once again, thank you all for helping illuminate the why on the preference for the holsters favored here.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I don't really post, but I felt like I could contribute here.

I can't speak to the other companies, but Tony at JM Custom won me over with his customer service. I ordered a IWB light-bearing holster (1.0, I think) a while back. Tony called me at around 7-8pm on a weeknight to tell me that he had a new design and offered to upgrade me for free. He explained the benefits of the new holster and spent a couple minutes on the phone with me at a time long after most others would have called it a day. I got the new model and it has served me well since it was delivered, though I've since switched over to AIWB for nearly everything.

I have no doubts that what I originally ordered would have worked great, but the fact that he reached out to update me on a new product with absolutely no benefit to himself that I could see speaks volumes. He could have said nothing and still had a satisfied customer. He made a customer for life. Maybe I won't end up buying from JM in the end, but I can assure you that they're the first place I check if I'm looking for a new holster.

p1090, thanks for the kudos!!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I just bought my 2nd JMCK AIWB holster because I have been so impressed with my Wing Claw. It really packs the best overall combination of comfort/concealment of any holster I've ever tried. Draw isn't as fast as other AIWB holster but that's really not something I lose sleep over (and besides, it's still plenty fast).

As has been said already, I think the biggest thing that distinguishes JMCK AIWB holsters is their very carefully conceived design points. Comparing my Dale Fricke Archangel - which is fine holster and was only one of a few AIWB holster options out there when I bought it in 2011 - it's like night and day.

Not to take away from the other points, as they are all ultimately the determining factors of why something is selected and lauded as quality.

However if we want to play the objective game there is also a little bit of a closed circuit that becomes self fulfilling for those who can break the initial quality test. For example if Tom Jones sees LittleLebowski likes brand x, and he is a pretty tuned up dude then maybe Tom tries it too. Tom posts his praise after finding LL's comments are warranted. I see that both Tom and LL are tuned up dudes and maybe that will work for me too, so i give it a run.... etc.

It is both a good and bad thing. Harder to get initial 'break' if you are new, but if your stuff is good it will last in a critical (but mostly fair) community. Good because it is easy for an innovator to get a foot hold if they can get that break.

I also think that a lot of people, especially who carry AIWB have a bag of holsters that did not work because of body type more than anything, that can get expensive. So when we see above example we give it a try and it works because the for mentioned points in other posts are present, why keep looking if you found something that works?

User Tag List