Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What sets the preferred holsters apart?

I agree with much of what JFK says and it's definitely worthwhile to pay attention to the recommendations of those we have come to respect.

I came to this site specifically in search of information to help me select a new kydex AIWB holster. Had no intention of joining, just really wanted the info. Not surprisingly, I was swayed somewhat by the 100+ page thread on Tony's (JMCK) holsters. Tony recommended which holster he thought would serve best based upon my parameters and the rest was history. Excellent holster in every sense.

A couple months later, now a P-F member and supporter, I read several helpful posts from Tom, (Dark Star Gear), and decided that it would be nice to support someone who supported the site and its members and who was pretty damn reticent when it came to touting his own work. I also thought it would be nice to see how Tony's holster compared with the work of another top flight maker. Well, not much of a surprise to those who own Tom's work, the holster was excellent.

So, now I had a pair of holsters, set up slightly differently but both great in their assigned roles, each with its own particular strengths.

Finally, and this one I fell into by accident...I had purchased several items from "Mack" at Mastermind Tactics and developed a regular correspondence where we would discuss lots of equipment and firearms related topics. I actually thought about buying one of his holsters but as the "new guy" on the block I really didn't think that there was anything to be gained by it since I already had great holsters from JMCK and DSG. As a result I stuck to belts and other accessories for the most part.

Fortunately for me, that oversight was taken care of when Mack sent me a gift of one of his holsters and a magazine carrier. And you know what? His holster is terrific and stands right up there with DSG and JMCK. In fact, each of these maker's holsters has individual qualities and features that may make me choose theirs on any given day. I'd be hard put to part with any of them (and have ordered several others for different guns).

The point is that having work from top makers provides an opportunity to appreciate the nuances, fit, finish and workmanship that sets them apart. And each of them is different enough in fit and feel to make me select one or the other on any given day.

I don't regret the money spent with any of these fine gentlemen. The way I look at it, it's not enough money to have changed my lifestyle but my support of their craft helps good people to stay in business and enrich our community. And, very possibly, their work might end up supporting me if I ever have to draw my firearm in anger from one of their holsters.

Net result? Win-win.
    Last edited by blues; 06-13-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I should also add that it is also good to try new things and if you have the funds, or can borrow holsters its good to try. Especially AIWB. My personal experience:

I have used CCC for 1911 and HK for years. Never thought I would use another AIWB because they were great, comfortable quality holsters. My 1911 holster is still quality 6 or 7 years later.

However when I switched to Glock a few years ago the CCC I purchased, because that was my jam just was not working right. Not because of anything but the way my belly is shaped with that particular gun / holster. So I tried the JMCK and bam... Holster solved.

Maybe we should start a holster exchange....

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    I should also add that it is also good to try new things and if you have the funds, or can borrow holsters its good to try. Especially AIWB. My personal experience:

I have used CCC for 1911 and HK for years. Never thought I would use another AIWB because they were great, comfortable quality holsters. My 1911 holster is still quality 6 or 7 years later.

However when I switched to Glock a few years ago the CCC I purchased, because that was my jam just was not working right. Not because of anything but the way my belly is shaped with that particular gun / holster. So I tried the JMCK and bam... Holster solved.

Maybe we should start a holster exchange....
    This is illustrative of one of the big reasons to order from Tony, Rich or Tom (or a maker of similar experience and communication).

If you tell one of these guys what you need, and give them your measurements and body type, style of dress, etc. they can give you a recommendation that will be way more likely to be what works than taking a shot in the dark on a best guess.

These are all people I have seen suggest products of other businesses if they thought it was the best solution. That behavior speaks volumes to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List