Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: I have always despised the .380.....but

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Hmmm.....let's see; the video shows a .380 Auto 95 gr FMJ fired at about 850 fps give or take. Projectiles like this tend to penetrate in excess of 20" in 10% gel. Why would it not penetrate through a windshield?

Obviously, to make this type of "test" useful, the projectile needs to be captured in 10% ordnance gel AFTER going through the intermediate barrier; since that did not occur, this video is fairly useless.

Now a more interesting test would be to shoot both .380 Auto JHP and 9 mm JHP through a windshield and into ordnance gel to compare how the two loads perform...
    I wonder why he chose a melon as his "test subject." Scuba has done quit a bit of hobbyist gel testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I wonder why he chose a melon as his "test subject." Scuba has done quit a bit of hobbyist gel testing.
    I don't know. I found the video when behindblueIs mentioned that the FBI auto glass requirement was a good test of skull penetration.

It doesn’t strike anybody odd that the angled shot through the windshield bounced off/was deflected by the 2X4? Would it really have enough left to penetrate a human skull?

I wonder what a 9mm would do when encountering the 2X4, with everything else being equal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I looked at it as an indication that the round would penetrate the skull substituting the glass as the skull, per previous posts. Once the skull is penetrated...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I looked at it as an indication that the round would penetrate the skull substituting the glass as the skull, per previous posts. Once the skull is penetrated...
    Oh, well shit, I can tell you a .380 will penetrate a skull based on .380s penetrating skulls.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by H&KFanNC View Post
    It doesn’t strike anybody odd that the angled shot through the windshield bounced off/was deflected by the 2X4? Would it really have enough left to penetrate a human skull?

I wonder what a 9mm would do when encountering the 2X4, with everything else being equal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RN ball will deflect off of hard surfaces when it hits at the right combination of angle/velocity/bullet weight/etc. A 2x4 might meet the standard for being a hard surface, under the right circumstances.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    RN ball will deflect off of hard surfaces when it hits at the right combination of angle/velocity/bullet weight/etc. A 2x4 might meet the standard for being a hard surface, under the right circumstances.
    This. I've seen every common duty caliber glance off things nobody considers bullet proof when ball was used. Auto glass and body panels, aluminum siding, decorative porch railings...
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Not Doc, but I think the idea behind using old style Hydra Shok or XTP is that they are unlikely to expand anyway (essentially FMJ penetration), and the QC on that ammo is much better than your standard FMJ ammo.
    The Hydra-shok has also proved really accurate for me. 1.5” or better at 15 yards from a Glock 42, Sig P230 and a S&W Bodyguard!
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Oh, well shit, I can tell you a .380 will penetrate a skull based on .380s penetrating skulls.
    I love your work
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Although I consider the .380 to be far less than optimal, I confess that I do carry one in some situations. I am curious about the hydra shock. There are two versions of this, the P380HS1G and the P380HS1H. I assumed they were the same round packaged differently, but the "H" version can be obtained at lower cost, although the "G" version seems to be what departments who issue this stuff for backup guns seem to spec. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

User Tag List