Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I have always despised the .380.....but

The first rule of gunfighting still applies--I'd rather have a .380 than no gun...

In the past, lot's of .380 pistols have had reliability and functional issues, especially after being carried in a pocket full of lint or on an ankle--in those scenarios, a lightweight J-frame was a better option.

For a dedicated BUG and for folks that cannot handle the recoil or operation of .38 or 9 mm, a G42 shooting ball (including Lehigh XP) is acceptable; a poorly expanding .380 JHP like XTP or Hydra Shok will also work.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am going to put the J away. Load the 42 with XTP and carry on.

What precludes you from carrying a service pistol?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    What precludes you from carrying a service pistol?

I carry a G17 aiwb all the time-always.
    The 42 will be a bug in left front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    I carry a G17 aiwb all the time-always.
    The 42 will be a bug in left front pocket.
    That was indeed in your OP. RIF. If the 42 carries better than a J, seems fine.

In Tom Givens class he shows pictures of .380 rounds that were stopped by the large plastic clips that hold targets up. The bullets made it halfway through. This was from when Tom had his own range in Memphis.

If for whatever reason .380 is all you have or can carry, see about getting some good rounds for it. Maybe the Winchester Ranger rounds. Even if they did not expand, hopefully they would penetrate.
    Last edited by Ed L; 06-11-2017 at 10:30 PM.

The last murder case I was involved in had a victim killed by a .380 with ball ammo (Fiocchi IIRC). Victim was shot high in the right pectoral from an almost 90 degree angle. The round entered his thoracic cavity and took out the top of both lungs and his aorta and then exited his back near the shoulder and ended up in the woods somewhere. Distance <5 yards.

Perp then blew his brains out with the same gun as he was fleeing in a vehicle. Caught on dash cam.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    How has reliability been during those 1,000 rounds? Any failures? I've never experienced a failure with a 642 and if the G42 has comparable capacity and ballistics to the 642 then I would still choose the 642 simply for reliability.
    My wife and I have approaching 6000 rounds or perhaps more thru four Glock 42's. The one that I carry is approaching 4000 rounds or so. That one has never had a malfunction that is not ammo related. Those malfunctions were all from a specific lot of Freedom Munitions 100gr TMJ (Plated) that were loaded inconsistently and with too light of a charge to cycle the 42. Other loads fired thru it are Freedom Munitions XTP, Speer Lawman, and Blazer Aluminum. There may have been some others that I do not remember. Freedom's XTP load, like all but their TMJ load, has been reliable and accurate. However, while reloading it requires a sling shot method to make sure the first round feeds properly every time. FMJ/TMJ loads have been 100% reliable when using the slide stop lever or sling shot.

One of the 42's required the feed ramp to be polished in order for it to be reliable with the XTP load. After the feed ramp was polished it was reliable with the XTP load and others no matter how lightly a grip was maintained. The other two (not mine that I carry) have had occasional FTF's with Blazer Aluminum. None with anything else.
    Last edited by DAVIDF; 06-13-2017 at 08:03 AM.

Once I did an informal test. I shot a .380 hollowpoint (Remington, I think) into a jug of water out of a FEG .380 copy of a Walther PPK with a full length barrel from several feet away. Water started leaking out of the bullet hole. Then I shot a 9mm hollow point out a short barrelled gun (Corbon 115 grain +P out of a Keltec P11) from the same distance and I got soaked with water.

Moral of the story: "Friends don't let friends carry .380s."

At least if your friends are made of water...

User Tag List