Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I have always despised the .380.....but

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I've got a bit over 1,000 through my 42 and really love the little pistol. I figure that 7 or so Gold Dots will work just fine on my back patio. All joking aside, I shoot the 42 an order of magnitude better than my 642. I'm comfortable slipping it in my shorts pocket, if I was going to do the same with a 642.
    Name:  tumblr_inline_op5a6dG3XF1ru97qy_540.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  14.8 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Name:  tumblr_inline_op5a6dG3XF1ru97qy_540.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  14.8 KB
    Well, it is his cross to bear.

If I was going to carry a .380, the Glock 42 is the one. Like previous posters have noted, it shoots soft and is extremely accurate. I've shot 1.25" groups out of it at 15 yards with Federal hydra shok and Hornady Critical Defense loads. In testing, I've got 15 different loads, including JHP handholds, FMJ factory and JHP factory that shoot under 2" groups with my G42. No question that it is easier to shoot than a S&W J frame, just considering the sights alone.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

When making your decision, just be sure to think of the .380 as an "almost .32 Auto" rather than an "almost 9x19mm."

Also remember that the heavier bullets of the more powerful "duty" cartridges can offer more CONSISTENT, as well as, more desirable terminal performance - especially after hard barriers.

Site Supporter
    The .32 has an advantage in even lower recoil than the .380, and can have a few more rounds per same size magazine.

The G42 we tried out was the right size for my petite wife's little hands, and she enjoyed shooting it, and could hit well with it. All good things that her recoil-sensitive self would never have said about a Jframe .38. +P hollow points through an airweight j don't begin to get the same velocity as a .380 or .32, but recoil is much greater. I think that there has to be a place in a balanced discussion of different guns, calibers, terminal performance, etc. for whether the package is tolerable for the shooter to use and carry - and can they hit with it, too.

I'd take a G42, or get one for my wife, and carry it confidently. It might be loaded with ball, but so what? It's a deep concealment, back-up, NPE gun that works, and shoots ridiculously accurately. I'd rather be carrying it than a lot of other tiny guns.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I've got a bit over 1,000 through my 42 and really love the little pistol. I figure that 7 or so Gold Dots will work just fine on my back patio. All joking aside, I shoot the 42 an order of magnitude better than my 642. I'm comfortable slipping it in my shorts pocket, if I was going to do the same with a 642.

Edited to add I will likely be dead in a week....
    How has reliability been during those 1,000 rounds? Any failures? I've never experienced a failure with a 642 and if the G42 has comparable capacity and ballistics to the 642 then I would still choose the 642 simply for reliability.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The .32 has an advantage in even lower recoil than the .380, and can have a few more rounds per same size magazine.
    It also has the disadvantage of using a semi rimmed round which may lead to rim lock, which will stop the gun from running and no immediate action drill will fix it. Between the two, I'd definitely stick with the .380 Auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    How has reliability been during those 1,000 rounds? Any failures? I've never experienced a failure with a 642 and if the G42 has comparable capacity and ballistics to the 642 then I would still choose the 642 simply for reliability.

Mine has never had a stoppage or malfunction. Probably 200 Gold Dots and a variety of other stuff.

An issue for many .380 pistols, is despite chambering a crappy cartridge, many are hard to shoot, and have different controls and feel than larger service pistols. What Glock got right, is having a design that is easy to shoot and mimics their other pistols, leaving the cartridge as the only negative.

In warmer climates, my wife uses a 26/43/42 interchangeably depending upon what she is wearing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a Glock 42 which I carry in an ankle rig. I can't wear anything larger in my daily work clothes. For practice I just do 3 round bursts: 2 hands, strong and weak hand alone. Range is 10 yds and in. I expect to be able to just engage one assailant (may be 2) and expend all of the gun's ammunition. It is a great little gun and transitions well from my usual Glock 17/19.

User Tag List