Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KRtraining - red dot study

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Reference the study, now that I have read it. Seems reasonable.

However, I am not so interested in what most people experience, but very interested in what I experience, since there is likely to be significant variation between different shooters. There seems to be little dispute that the dot is an advantage on longer shots, and the open issue is on closer shots. It has taken me a while to get there, but inside ten yards, I am faster with the dot than iron sights. At all distances, the dot also allows me to call shots with greater precision, as in "that head shot was 1/2 inch right of center," level of shot calling.

My only problem with a red dot on a handgun is the technology, as I find neither the RMR nor DP Pro suitable for my needs for carry. Hopefully Aimpoint fixes that soon with the Nano.
    How were you able to get faster 10 yards and in from irons to dot?
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Practice...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    How were you able to get faster 10 yards and in from irons to dot?
    Just speculation, but I think it two things -- the dot saving some time in avoiding a visual focus shift and my ability to use dot movement to help me be more aggressive with the trigger, while still making the hit.

In any event, the timer doesn't lie, and this spring, I got my warmed up draw with a slide mounted dot to an A zone hit at 7 yards, into the .60's, with .70's when I was off slightly. Consistently faster than with iron sights.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Perhaps it is worth noting that the last time you had some sort of comparison between an RMR and a DPP, the results were so drastically different that I wouldn't generalize "faster" to "dot". "BIG screen dot" seems more accurate.
    Last edited by YVK; 06-10-2017 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Perhaps it is worth noting that the last time you had some sort of comparison between an RMR and a DPP, the results were so drastically different that I wouldn't generalize "faster" to "dot". "BIG screen dot" seems more accurate.
    That is an excellent point. Same pistols with RMR and DP Pro, in a USPSA setting, the DP Pro significantly ouperformed the RMR. I attribute this to the difference in display size and clarity.

And to be clear, my point about being faster than irons with the dot was with the DP Pro.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Very good summary and generally in concordance with what we experienced in our LE service handgun RDS study which began in 2010, the results of which have been reported repeatedly since then:
    Thank you for posting that. Can you share the citation or link to the study that I can keep for reference going forward?

Nope, it was a internal restricted study for an LE agency, although I believe someone mentioned that a redacted executive summary was posted somewhere on the internet--maybe over at P&S.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Karl is a vetted SME. I believe he picked the 15 yard point because a fair amount of his study was on people who hadn't shot much at all and didn't have any preconceived notions. 15 yards tends to be the 'break even' on accuracy for a lot of folks. 25 has always been the standard, but 15 is the attainable standard for most shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There are three people with a GM classification, and Karl is the only one currently with a classification greater than 95 percent.

https://www.uspsa.org/top20.php

(USPSA is supposedly soon adjusting up percentages, as CO is perhaps the hardest division -- not that I am upset about this. )
    You just posted that because your name is on there.

So I just read the article three times and I want to confirm that I understood the methodology: 10 dry fire familiarization shots and then testing a single hit percentage at 5 and 10, one handed and/or two handed, from ready and with a 1.5 second par?

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    You just posted that because your name is on there.
    Bravo for the observation! Now watch him to gently steer the discussion to a PCC list.

Ooops, I just did.
    Last edited by YVK; 06-10-2017 at 02:48 PM.

User Tag List