Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: KRtraining - red dot study

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I don't think this should be surprising to anyone who has spent a substantial amount of time using a pistol with visible laser. The problem, in my experience, is that available handgun lasers are either bulky or have durability/zero shift issues.
    I am very impressed with the latest Crimson Trace green laser. Very compact in a way that doesn't impact concealability the way a red dot might, very reliable now that they have eliminated the external battery compartment and almost a thousand rounds through a Glock 43 with no drift. For self defense, I think the laser has come of age.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    While I like green lasers and have several mounted in conjunction with pistol slide RDS, they have limited utility in bright light and at longer ranges--think shooting down a long school hallway, a mall area, or a baseball field to stop an active shooter armed with a rifle...
    I remember seeing the pictures you posted of your setup. Very impressive setup. In fact, I set up a HK45C with RMR and red laser based on seeing your Glock, really the best of both worlds. I was speaking of civilian self defense; more likely to be used at 10 feet rather than 50 yards.

As Southnarc notes, close range, indoors, low light, especially on the move and/or with gas mask are all situations are where green lasers offer significant benefits.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Just had an interesting convo with AJ Stuart. He is one of the 3 current GMs in CO. He is also a GM in Open and Production. At the risk of hearsay (I will try to get him to write down some of his thoughts), his experience was that the speed of a slide ride RDS and the whole division was much much faster than he antipicated. He confirmed that he used the dot on all his classifiers. When he made GM his % was 98.01. Just some counter point food for thought.
    Last edited by AsianJedi; 06-16-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

My experience messing with them, suggests a red dot makes a great primary sighting system, where the laser makes an excellent secondary sighting system.

Most recently, I have been running a green laser as a secondary sighting system since December on my PCC in USPSA.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I am very impressed with the latest Crimson Trace green laser. Very compact in a way that doesn't impact concealability the way a red dot might, very reliable now that they have eliminated the external battery compartment and almost a thousand rounds through a Glock 43 with no drift. For self defense, I think the laser has come of age.
    I hope this isn't too far off track. It is from the report. Which laser are you using? The laser guard that mounts in front of the trigger? How does it affect your grip and holster selection.

MVS,
    Yes, I use the Laserguard LG-443G which fits the Glock 42 and 43. It mounts in front of the trigger and extends a bit below the trigger guard, meaning slightly less space for you hand on the grip. I don't have any issues with that. I use a Garrett Industries holster, IWB, which can be worn in appendix through the 3 or 4 o'clock position and has adjustable cant. I have Trijicon HD sights on the 43. The whole combination seems to work well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianJedi View Post
    Just had an interesting convo with AJ Stuart. He is one of the 3 current GMs in CO. He is also a GM in Open and Production. At the risk of hearsay (I will try to get him to write down some of his thoughts), his experience was that the speed of a slide ride RDS and the whole division was much much faster than he antipicated. He confirmed that he used the dot on all his classifiers. When he made GM his % was 98.01. Just some counter point food for thought.
    I'd be very interested to hear a detailed assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of CO division.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Most recently, I have been running a green laser as a secondary sighting system since December on my PCC in USPSA.
    Do you see any utility using one on your short barrel benelli shotgun with an AVA mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Do you see any utility using one on your short barrel benelli shotgun with an AVA mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those shotguns get beat up pretty good, so it would have to be something tough like an X400.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List