Thread: Lawful Purpose and Self Defense Act

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Lawful Purpose and Self Defense Act

Actual full text:

https://robbishop.house.gov/uploaded...ut_006_xml.pdf

Figured I'd start with that, rather than the summaries and commentaries Google brings up elsewhere.

I've mentioned my concern previously, regarding the need to be careful with how a revision of 922(r) would be executed. I love it as the Beretta-Benelli Freedom Act, as I'd love to put a +2 on a 1301 without breaking Federal law (my interpretation, not really intending a debate of that in this thread). However, I'm concerned about the potential for the AR industry to be gutted by cheap imported knockoffs of everything that's even a little bit innovative. The AR business thrives, and we all benefit from continuous improvement, because it's possible for hardworking, smart people to make a good living there creating new and better stuff. What we saw in the automotive world fifteen years ago was those people finding other stuff to do (some of the actually moved to AR parts) because every good idea they had was knocked off with crappy quality and a price half of what they needed to charge by the Chinese, often before the real thing could even make it to market. I'm actually concerned that the unintended consequences of Mr. Bishop's bill could be destructive to our community over the long haul.

Question for people who might be a little more dialed on this stuff than I am: Are we already there, and I'm just borrowing trouble that doesn't exist?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Since your example uses parts, Bishop's bill generally wouldn't affect the importation of parts other than receivers and barrels. Manufacturers are already importing most of the rifles and shotguns that are prohibited under 925(d)(3) by importing a different configuration or parts and finishing the firearm in the United States. This just increases costs for consumers who are directly paying for regulatory compliance rather than the simple market price.

I'd also note that Bishop's bill doesn't just fix the sporting purpose import test, but every place that arbitrary and undefined standard is used throughout federal firearms law. Under Bishop's bill, we wouldn't have to worry about arbitrary reclassification of ammunition like the attempt to eliminate the sporting exemption for M855/SS109 projectiles. Elimination of the ammunition sporting purpose test should actually spur US innovation in rifle projectile development because manufacturers would be free to experiment with alternative materials other than lead and copper for rifle projectiles construction.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Actual full text:

https://robbishop.house.gov/uploaded...ut_006_xml.pdf

Figured I'd start with that, rather than the summaries and commentaries Google brings up elsewhere.

I've mentioned my concern previously, regarding the need to be careful with how a revision of 922(r) would be executed. I love it as the Beretta-Benelli Freedom Act, as I'd love to put a +2 on a 1301 without breaking Federal law (my interpretation, not really intending a debate of that in this thread). However, I'm concerned about the potential for the AR industry to be gutted by cheap imported knockoffs of everything that's even a little bit innovative. The AR business thrives, and we all benefit from continuous improvement, because it's possible for hardworking, smart people to make a good living there creating new and better stuff. What we saw in the automotive world fifteen years ago was those people finding other stuff to do (some of the actually moved to AR parts) because every good idea they had was knocked off with crappy quality and a price half of what they needed to charge by the Chinese, often before the real thing could even make it to market. I'm actually concerned that the unintended consequences of Mr. Bishop's bill could be destructive to our community over the long haul.

Question for people who might be a little more dialed on this stuff than I am: Are we already there, and I'm just borrowing trouble that doesn't exist?
    I don't believe that protectionist thinking is at all good for this country. Don't care to debate it.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The market's already flooded with shitty imported knockoff AR parts and accessories. They serve a valuable sorting function.

This bill only affects the guns themselves.
    Last edited by Tamara; 06-10-2017 at 10:58 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List