Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electricity Kills

Bunch of pansies. I took 50,000 volts for 5 seconds........voluntarily.

Plenty of people have on a TASER ride.

There's taser voltage and then there's the stuff that kills you. Not only does it kill you it hurts the whole time you are dying.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    There's taser voltage and then there's the stuff that kills you. Not only does it kill you it hurts the whole time you are dying.
    I don't remember mine. Except the last part where I had a brief moment of clarity and I thought if I don't get off of this it will kill me. Somehow I did. In my hand and out my face into the snowbank I was laying in. Burnt marks all over my face and from the exit wounds and covered in blood. If I ever find out who put that illegal under ground box in then spliced the wires with wire nuts I will surely kill them.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    My best shock was back when I worked for a telephone company. Typical phone voltage here is around 52v at 85 mA, so if you're hunting for a live pair you can tap them on your tongue and it's like a 9v battery on steroids. It's pretty old school and most guys don't do it now, but it's really quick and back then I used to climb poles a lot and splice wires and I got paid piece rate so I got really fast.

But that's just dial tone voltage. RING voltage is around 90v AC. And if someone, for some weird reason, is ringing the line at the exact moment you touch it to your tongue, and you're going really fast so you only have one spur dug into the pole because you were used to doing the whole operation in a few seconds so you just dug in one and hooked the other around the pole...WHAM.

Knocked me right off my spur. Got lucky and got a hold of the pole and only slid down about four or five feet before my spur dug back in. Took me a few minutes to figure out what had happened, and I realized ring voltage because my tongue felt bruised. Must have gripped the telephone pole reflexively because I had no idea where I was for a few seconds.

After that I always wore my climbing belt.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Bunch of pansies. I took 50,000 volts for 5 seconds........voluntarily.

Plenty of people have on a TASER ride.
    Again, VOLTS are not AMPS.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Again, VOLTS are not AMPS.
    Right, this is why the vast, vast majority of people are alive and well after taking hits from electric fences and vehicle ignition systems, which also go into the tens of thousands of volts. Heaven knows I've been hit by plenty of both in my younger days which were spent first on a farm and then as a mechanic.

I'm currently a welder, so I also have the experience of being shocked through sweat-soaked welding gloves while changing rods. Welding in the rain is not a fun job either, as you can imagine. There you're generally talking DC current (AC for aluminum TIG) in the range of 16-40V (OCV can run to nearly 100V) and amperages ranging from 50A for tiny stuff to the max 575A that my 6-cylinder engine drive will put out while arc gouging.
    Last edited by Welder; 06-09-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    My best shock was back when I worked for a telephone company. Typical phone voltage here is around 52v at 85 mA, so if you're hunting for a live pair you can tap them on your tongue and it's like a 9v battery on steroids. It's pretty old school and most guys don't do it now, but it's really quick and back then I used to climb poles a lot and splice wires and I got paid piece rate so I got really fast.

But that's just dial tone voltage. RING voltage is around 90v AC. And if someone, for some weird reason, is ringing the line at the exact moment you touch it to your tongue, and you're going really fast so you only have one spur dug into the pole because you were used to doing the whole operation in a few seconds so you just dug in one and hooked the other around the pole...WHAM.

Knocked me right off my spur. Got lucky and got a hold of the pole and only slid down about four or five feet before my spur dug back in. Took me a few minutes to figure out what had happened, and I realized ring voltage because my tongue felt bruised. Must have gripped the telephone pole reflexively because I had no idea where I was for a few seconds.

After that I always wore my climbing belt.
    I've had the pleasure of experiencing ring voltage, also. Fortunately, I was sitting in the floor of a office trying to find the one pair out of a 24 pair that was live. Found it just as it began to ring.

I think the worst shock was while replacing a wall outlet, hot. Dumb, I know, but it was an old house with fuse box and the whole house was on two twenty amp fuses and I was doing this a night. While sitting cross legged in the floor, I accidentally made contact. Next thing I know, I'm standing about six feet from the wall, stunned. As was my wife who had watched the whole thing. I had flipped over backwards and landed on my feet. I later found out that the previous tenant had put pennies behind the fuses.
    Last edited by RolandD; 06-09-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I say fairly certain because electricity can be rather fickle. There may exist a path of least resistance outside of the obvious.
    Back in February I watched a guy die that was walking too close to a downed power line. There is less resistance through one foot, up the body, and out the other foot, than there is through the ground between the feet. He was 30 feet away from the line. I don't know how many times I've been closer than that to downed line.
    Last edited by txdpd; 06-09-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Hammertime
    Most memorable burn of my time in the burn unit was a line worker who arced something from an arm down to his legs/buttocks. He came in alive and screaming and smelling horrible.

He died of sepsis after a month, much heroic, tortuous care and several amputations.

Now that I think of it, that was the worst case of my entire residency.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    It is possible that the 12V supply was not referenced to earth ground but was not floating.
    I agree with this. It is the lack of a reference that kept you safe. A battery has voltage potential, but must be referenced to a ground to conduct current.

User Tag List