Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electricity Kills

Electricity Kills

Doing my continuing ed requirements today and they had this nifty chart I wanted to share with you. A tiny amount of electricity will kill you. Most people don't realize how little it takes. Please note those measurements are in miliamps. Thats three places past the decimal. Household breakers are usually 15 amps or larger.
    Name:  effects of electrical shock.jpg
Views: 8316
Size:  57.2 KB
    Last edited by UNK; 06-09-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    I wonder how an electric fence rates -- I've touched those a few times. I was shocked by 110 once while standing on a stool and it knocked me right on my ass.

Technically current (amperage) kills. Also the path it takes. You can take a hit from a big source if it does not follow a destructive path. Across the heart is certain death. In one finger and out same or another on the same hand can hurt or burn but likely will not kill you. However if you ground yourself by touching lets say a grounded copper pipe with your left hand and your right hand comes into contact with a hot source you are fairly certain to establish an across the heart path. I say fairly certain because electricity can be rather fickle. There may exist a path of least resistance outside of the obvious.

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Worst shock I ever had was from a 12 VDC power supply for a 2hp servomotor. It kicked my ass and left me on the ground. Way worse than any of the 120 VAC shocks I've experienced.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-09-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned
    I'm almost positive I got hit by 480 volts while trying to turn off a Strippit turret press. I grabbed the cabinet door and reached for the breaker and missed the switch and touched a piece of metal on the breaker. I felt the electricity going through me but I couldn't let go of the machine. I have no idea how I broke loose but I never turned that machine off like that again

Site Supporter
    We are active in boating. Many people underestimate the dangers of stray current in the water around boats in the marina.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Worst shock I ever had was from a 12 VDC power supply for a 2hp servomotor. It kicked my ass and left me on the ground. Way worse than any of the 120 VAC shocks I've experienced.
    That's interesting. Despite the movie and TV shows where car batteries and jumper cables are used to inflict torture, I've never heard of anyone actually being shocked by 12V. I can grab hold of both posts of a car or heavy equipment battery and hold on all day without feeling a thing, and some of those are rated in the 1200 or more CCA range. I would guess that many engine starting motors are in the same hp / amperage draw range as the servomotor you're describing.

Were there odd conditions on that job?

Worst shock I remember getting was when I touched a cracked distributor cap on an old Datsun while trying to get it running in the rain in a none too friendly part of Brooklyn. Yowza!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    That's interesting. Despite the movie and TV shows where car batteries and jumper cables are used to inflict torture, I've never heard of anyone actually being shocked by 12V. I can grab hold of both posts of a car or heavy equipment battery and hold on all day without feeling a thing, and some of those are rated in the 1200 or more CCA range. I would guess that many engine starting motors are in the same hp / amperage draw range as the servomotor you're describing.

Were there odd conditions on that job?
    I believe he's talking about a power supply that plugs into a 120 AC wall plug and then transforms it to D.C. D.C. usually has more amps but there's always if ands and buts.

We recently had a guy get hit with 7200v's and live to tell about it. In the hand out the feet. Scary stuff.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List