Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On duty pistol vs off duty pistol

On duty pistol vs off duty pistol

I'm not sure how much this has been discussed but I'm not really sure how to search for it or really even how to title the thread. I did attempt to search and I found a kinda similar topic from 2012 but I was hoping to get some advice a little more specific to my situation. If it's a beat-to-death topic than let me throw myself on the mercy of PFC and beg forgiveness right now.

So for 11 years now I have worked as a civilian armed security guard for the Department of the Army. I carry a carbine and a bog-standard clapped-out Beretta M9 which I'm not allowed to change anything on and it must be carried empty chamber, safety on. Luckily I have large enough hands that I can work the backward-ass safety without any trouble. Ever since I got my concealed carry permit I've been carrying Glocks because I prefer striker fired guns. I probably should have figured this out a long time ago but I suspect it's probably not the best idea to do things that way, right? I should probably be carrying something off duty as close to my issued sidearm as possible. I did recently trade in my USP compact for a 92A1, my first personally owned gun in that family, so I could be practicing with something akin to my duty weapon. I was tempted to order of bunch of the upgrades for it from Beretta and/or Wilson but I'm starting to rethink that for the time being. Up until now I had been practicing with my old Ruger P95DC.

So should I change my off duty to match my on duty or am I overthinking this? I don't think I am since an M9 and a Glock 19 are so different.

I wouldn't mind a 92 compact but does it need to be the same family of handguns or would it be alright to stray from the 92 platform? I've also been eyeing the PX4 series and the subcompact model would be a nice option to have when I can't dress around a larger gun for whatever reason. I am also a fan of the S&W classics so getting one of those would be a treat. What other options might one consider? I also like the Ruger P-series but the mag release on the 9mm variants if different than any other handgun I'm aware of and it's hard to reach with my thumb.

Should I be carrying empty chamber, safety on like I'm required to on duty? I know it's handicapping myself but I would think the consistency would offset that to some degree.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read this post and help me unfuck myself.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 06-09-2017 at 12:49 AM.

When I carried a 92F, 5906, & 4566 on duty, I carried a 3913 off-duty.

When I carried a 5" steel 1911 on duty, I carried a LWC off-duty.

When I had a G17 on duty, I carried a G19 off-duty (although these days, I'd just use a G19 for both on and off duty should I ever be in that position again).
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

What is your primary weapon on duty?

If it is your carbine, I wouldn't worry overmuch. Just maintain that long gun.

I would definitely avoid carrying chamber empty on personal time, when your pistol is your primary and likely only firearm. There is some argument to going with a pistol that shares the same ergos and controls, like a different 92 or even a PX4 of some sort. It's likely best practice unless you perform significantly better with a different weapon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's merit in carry the same thing on and off duty. If you do all your practice with your personal Glock, what is going to happen if you're on duty and something happens when you need your Condition 3 M9? Your manual of arms is very different. In my opinion there should be a modicum of similarity....even if it's a 92G carried hot.

With that said I wouldn't go out and buy a 92 right now given the Army is switching to the P320.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    As a civilian contract security guard (working at a stateside base?) you'll probably be carrying an M9 until after all the line units and combat support units and combat service support units and reserve units and NG units get new pistols. IOW, don't hold your breath.

I have a 92A1. I really like it. It's got a light on it and a 17 rd mag in it by my bed right now. As DocGKR suggests, unless I'm pocket carrying, I carry a 3913. I actually have two of them, and I'd consider another at the right price.

Our policy was that you could carry anything from the duty list or BUG list off duty. If I had to guess I'd say that half carried their BUG off duty, and the other half split between carrying their duty gun or a gun from the same family (5906-3913, 1911-Commander, etc like Doc said above). No matter what they chose they were familiar with it and had qualified.

In your shoes I'd carry a 92 or maybe a PX4.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    A few random thoughts:

Used PD-trade in Beretta 92's are often available at reasonable prices. (try summitgunbroker.com.) I have an old Police Special that has done well for me as a training gun.

I haven't personally had to contend with chamber-empty carry, but I don't think I'd handicap myself all the time on account of work rules. If in your situation, I would try to condition myself so that a draw from a duty holster ALWAYS includes a slide rack. IMHO, the draw from concealment can be a different "mental program," as long as you put in the work to ingrain both.

FWIW, when I was in a situation a few years ago where I was using both Berettas and Glocks, I found the difference a little less bothersome if the Glock had a NY1/"-" trigger combo. I'd also find that my thumb was manipulating a non-existent decocker on the Glock when coming off target...I don't think I could have develop that habit if I wasn't also putting in sufficient reps with a Beretta.

Eventually, a 92 compact became my civilian carry gun for whenever my job likely involved deploying with an M9. I'm happy with where I'm at on that, although if I didn't already have the 92C I'd be thinking hard about a PX4CC.

Also, the new TC 3-23.35 explicitly states that the M9 is safe to carry decocked and safety off. That might help influence a change in policy at your work, if the leadership isn't stuck in "how I learned it in 1995" mode. (long shot, I know )
    Last edited by Dave J; 06-09-2017 at 06:30 AM.

My duty gun is a 229. My off duty is a CZ P07 because I wanted to stick with DA/SA like my duty gun. If I were you I'd look at a M9A1 Compact or the PX4CC. I think there's merit to keeping the same style pistol for duty/off duty.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I have DOD types (mil and civ) come through that carry M9s on their day jobs, but mid to full size Glocks as PT or reserve police officers and CCW'ers. Trigger control issues (beyond the norm) are common, as are warm-up periods and requals. Practice on both systems with deliberate and conscious trigger work helps. Issues with other controls on the gun are minimal if any. They're shooting neither to potential. Interestingly, there is less issue with when the daily M9 or 226 (mostly) is paired with a distinctly smaller striker counterpart like a G26, G43, Shield, etc. Those seem to produce their own wiring.

Get your choice(s) on a timer, target, and quantifiable standard and see what's up.
    Last edited by ST911; 06-09-2017 at 07:59 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Yeah, some of the guys wear excited about the switch to the Sig. Until I pointed out how long it took to fully replace the 1911 with the M9. I'm pretty sure I'll be in another job before us security guards get the new Sigs.

I just acquired a 92A1 and right now I could probably conceal it but I started a weight loss program a while back and it's working very well. I imagine by the end of the year I won't be able to do that very easily. Although maybe by that point my love handles will be gone and I could carry IWB/AIWB. I've seen a couple of the single stack S&W 3rd gen guns for not a whole lot of money so I might keep my eye out for another. The facility I'm at is slated to close in about 3-5 years, I haven't totally decided if I'm going to wait and take a transfer or start looking for another job with a different agency.

There has been talk that we might change how we carry the pistols. Until recently we were carrying our rifles with fucking chamber plugs in them. So there is hope that we might be able to at least start carrying with the safety off, very remote chance we might even go to loaded chamber, safety on. But working for the gov, I know not to expect anything until it actually happens. These fucking jackwagons still think that loading the mags totally full will damage the springs so we only have 10 rounds in our 15 round M9 mags. So I sure as hell ain't gonna hold my breath for loaded chambers.

So I guess I need to get a holster for my 92A1 and start shopping for a 92 compact and/or PX4 compact/subcompact. And condition myself to rack the slide and manipulate the safety from a duty holster but from concealment not to. I think I can manage that since I have to lift my cover garment. And I do have the carbine with me most of the time (Also safety on, empty chamber) but I can rack that and change the selector at the same time vs having to do them separately on a pistol.

So G-type or manual safety?

User Tag List