Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Platform Change: What Would It Take ?

Site Supporter
    A nationwide 10 round mag standard with no grandfathering would likely knock me off my braces of G34s and G35s to either a 1911 or an M&P .45 with some Apex FSS goodness.

Short of that, a platform change is 2k min proposition by the time I buy 2 guns ( practice and carry), 4 holsters, ( AIWB, IWB ,OWB (concealed) and OWB (training)), 4 single mag pouches (2 carry, 2 training), 12 mag (6 carry, 6 training), proper night sights x 2.

I do confess I was recently speaking with johncorey re flirting with some all steel CZ 75 because I suspect that could be configured to be reliable, accurate, cocked/locked and very soft shooting.

I've already got the bad judgment and curiosity to experiment with different guns.

What would it take to change gun's?

More free time and a private range for testing/ training.

Currently have a glock for EDC and USPSA. But have and love full size 1911's, need more training time and would like to try some commander size models for EDC

Next step is learn and use CZ's. WTF is this double action nonsense all the cool kids talk about?

Thankfully I don't have the time or place to pursue those self destructive behaviors.

Someday I hope to change that

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    A nationwide 10 round mag standard with no grandfathering would likely knock me off my braces of G34s and G35s to either a 1911 or an M&P .45 with some Apex FSS goodness.

Short of that, a platform change is 2k min proposition by the time I buy 2 guns ( practice and carry), 4 holsters, ( AIWB, IWB ,OWB (concealed) and OWB (training)), 4 single mag pouches (2 carry, 2 training), 12 mag (6 carry, 6 training), proper night sights x 2.

I do confess I was recently speaking with johncorey re flirting with some all steel CZ 75 because I suspect that could be configured to be reliable, accurate, cocked/locked and very soft shooting.
    The mag ban scenario would probably push me into the .45 M&P and 4" revolver camp for belt carry and snub .38s for backup or NPE. Otherwise, I am sticking with the several Glock .40/9mms around the house since Glock is my issued work gun. I may sell a couple and use the funds for grip mods on the remainder or sell a couple more and update to a Gen 4 22 with a 9mm conversion barrel and a G4 G19. The G4 G23 I am issued fits my hand much better than my G2/G3 guns. I seem to not push the shots to the left with the G4 versus the older guns.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 06-10-2017 at 11:23 AM.

I'll dump all my HKs as soon as my Agency goes to a new pistol. I like to carry and train with something close to my work gun. Glock, Sig, M&P whatever...they're all basically the same. If we stick with an HK platform it'll save me some $ as I won't need to buy more support gear, that'd be nice but probably unlikely judging from the latest rumors. I try not to get too attached to plastic pistols, none of them have soul. 1911s do. Some revolvers do too. My competition guns 1911/2011s aren't going anywhere...

What would be required??

Demonstrably better in mechanical accuracy, practical accuracy and shootability. Also, reduced complexity and parts availability (I adore the VP9 and carry it 75% of the time; I carry a Glock 19 the other 25% because if society crashes Glock will be synonymous with the word "pistol").

I'm now trying the CZ P10C - accuracy like the VP9, simplicity of design closely mirrors Glock, great ergonomics and stippling. Needs sights. Everything else makes one consider "what would be required for you to switch..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you what caused me to switch platforms, more consistent performance. Now consistent performance relates to my personal criteria of what I expect from a particular weapon, YMMV. Cost, or complexity aren't deciding factors for me, I don't care if if it has 10 or 100 parts, if it works reliably.

I will agree, Glocks are the standard by which most others are measured by. I carried Glocks for many, many years as an LE, because they fit my personal criteria better than anything else. I have owned, shot and carried just about every other poly gun out there, and only one has provided me with more consistent performance than Glock, the P320. Now I understand others don't feel the same and I am fine with that. I have two 320's one with close to 10k rounds though it, and neither of them have ever failed.

The plain and simple truth is I can run the 320 better than I can my Glocks. It provides me with more consistent performance, and for me that's what cause me to change.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 07-03-2017 at 06:19 AM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    What would it take for me?

Sufficient ennui.

I carried M&P's from the middle of 2011 up until December of 2015. It was probably the middle of 2015 that I got to where I thought that switching guns might force me to focus on fundamentals again, and I'd just gotten thoroughly bored with the M&P. I had a Glock 19 and a full-size P320 9mm on hand, and the choice between the two came down to the fact that I already had an RCS Phantom with IWB soft loops for the 19.

So I sold off the 320 and bought more Glock support stuff.

I can see in another year or two getting bored with the Glock and shifting over to the 320. Hopefully there'll be a Gadget for them by then.
    Last edited by Tamara; 07-03-2017 at 07:19 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I'm going to use it as evidence to plead my case for another purchase. I've been a handgun enthusiast since 1979. I don't think I've ever made the financial commitment to one "platform" like everyone else does. Work issued me all I needed and I never grabst the need for more than 3 mags and one holster before. I guess I used the crutch of a department armorer as a back up even though my German Sig's lasted over 25 years without the need of a spare part nor their offer to even inspect them. Incompetent boobs! I suppose if I have committed to something since retiring, it has been buying a little of everything. I have bought quite a few extra mags and springs for our FNS-9c's as the wife happily accepted carrying and enjoys range time with me. If I had to commit to one or a particular "platform" I think I might have a breakdown. I've become skitzo, having great disdain for plastic I feel isn't good enough for holsters let alone firearms, but then enjoy shooting them and carrying them even more. I despise certain brands, especially traditional American ones, having lived with 70's and 80's Colt and Smith garbage and refuse to ever give them a chance again. Glock is out of the question for his personal ties with Soros. Todays Sig is not the same gun my German duty guns were but I dearly miss DA/SA and a decocker. I guess I'd have to default to my beloved 1911 compacts. I gotta admit I'm confused by all the gadget talk, other than grips. If a platforms trigger isnt making you happy or its soapy finish feels like a brick, why would you have bought it in the first place? To me a pistol is a tool for killing. To customize is to open yourself up to a guilty ruling by a jury of inferiors who have control of your life and customization is a opportunity I don't care to give them.
    Last edited by 0119; 07-03-2017 at 07:25 AM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 0119 View Post
    ...even though my German Sig's lasted over 25 years without the need of a spare part nor their offer to even inspect them.
    Not even changing the roll pins in all that time? Huh.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Not even changing the roll pins in all that time? Huh.
    No it never needed anything, not even mag springs, even though it saw more actual shooting use than by 99% of my fellow deputies. When they broke their own policy and didn't give me that pistol at my retirement I almost became the counties first mass shooting suspect!

User Tag List