Thread: First Time Dot Torture

First Time Dot Torture

Hit the range yesterday with a friend. He brought some dot torture targets so that became the mission of the day.
    Pretty good drill to run if you're starting to feel like you're king shit.

I was punching the center out of a standard target at 10 yards with just a few outside. All a pie plate at center mass though, essentially.
    That looks great on a silhouette.

Send a few little 2" circles out to 7 yards and it humbles you.

Not even sharing the targets as neither of us did great. Bringing them in to 5 yards sure did help but still not great. I think my friend got 40 and I got 39 (the week hand only drill KILLED me). Clearly I need to work on that before my "When Things Go Bad" class in a month.

Dot Torture by Damage Photos, on Flickr

On a side note, I dipped into my case of reman 9mm from Freedom Munitions. Recoil and muzzle flash was all over the place. Very inconstant ammo. Not a big deal to training ammo but it was very apparent today.

Start at 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Start at 3

Yeah, I checked here (and printed more targets) before posting and saw it says 3 yards. Haha.

Will hit the range again next weekend (maybe sooner too if I can make it).

Will start at 3.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Inconsistent ammo is very apparent on a Dot Torture, especially at any distance.

My first few were at 5. I moved back to 3 and it wasn't an immediate thing - but I can pretty much do it on demand at 3 now. I've done it once at 5.

I'm working on 5 yd now. 3 yds took a bit. Always seemed to throw one just as I started to think "I got this".

Some folks make it look easy, and ten when you get that target out in front of yourself, you find out how easy it is to ruin what would have been a clean run.

I was shooting some 1" dots at 3 yds at an indoor range and someone said, "Man he's shooting pretty good." The other guy in the lane, said "Anyone can do that up that close."

First guy came over to me and asked if I had any more targets and if he could trade a couple targets for some of the 1" circles. I just gave him a half a dozen, and said to have fun.

He went back to his buddy and said, "It does look easy. Try it." I heard a few bots of cursing along with some chuckling after they put that target out there. A few minutes later they came over to ask me what I was shooting. I pointed to the two pistols I brought that day, a Beretta Px4 Compact and a Canik TP9V2. My targets weren't perfect out of strings of 5 shots each on 5 circles I had managed 4 misses with each pistol. (So, 8 misses out of 50.) They looked a bit confused. Then they asked what I had done to the pistols. I told them I put a 12# hammer spring in the Beretta, but nothing had been done to the Canik. I told them there were a lot more misses on targets like that before that day, but those targets make me focus on the details and keeping the pistol still through the whole shot.

I'm late in figuring out that much of the stuff at the range doesn't look impressive or cool, but a lot of things with training and practice value don't look cool, and often aren't cool while you are doing them.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    I'm working on 5 yd now. 3 yds took a bit. Always seemed to throw one just as I started to think "I got this".

Some folks make it look easy, and ten when you get that target out in front of yourself, you find out how easy it is to ruin what would have been a clean run.

I was shooting some 1" dots at 3 yds at an indoor range and someone said, "Man he's shooting pretty good." The other guy in the lane, said "Anyone can do that up that close."

First guy came over to me and asked if I had any more targets and if he could trade a couple targets for some of the 1" circles. I just gave him a half a dozen, and said to have fun.

He went back to his buddy and said, "It does look easy. Try it." I heard a few bots of cursing along with some chuckling after they put that target out there. A few minutes later they came over to ask me what I was shooting. I pointed to the two pistols I brought that day, a Beretta Px4 Compact and a Canik TP9V2. My targets weren't perfect out of strings of 5 shots each on 5 circles I had managed 4 misses with each pistol. (So, 8 misses out of 50.) They looked a bit confused. Then they asked what I had done to the pistols. I told them I put a 12# hammer spring in the Beretta, but nothing had been done to the Canik. I told them there were a lot more misses on targets like that before that day, but those targets make me focus on the details and keeping the pistol still through the whole shot.

I'm late in figuring out that much of the stuff at the range doesn't look impressive or cool, but a lot of things with training and practice value don't look cool, and often aren't cool while you are doing them.
    I hate going to the range. Blessed with the country so I shoot at home. Every time I go, I get asked why My targets are so close. Usually 5-7 yard range. I ask why there targets are so far. Same basic answer- because it is cool to shoot far. Okay, but is it cool to shoot big groups? I prefer to be accurate and consistent vs far and fast.

The dudes who can shoot standing at 20-25 yards NEVER ask.

User Tag List