Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My Rem 700 SPS Tac $$ Pit

I have been hearing about folks starting to use a pump pillow as rear support. Sounds like a cool concept, although it sounds like a departure from traditional technique.

I just got in my new Wiebad mini Fortune Cookie. It is a very nice size and fill weight, and should be useful in a number of tasks, including rear bag challenges as discussed above.

It does seem that many people lately default to something like this or a Game Changer if they had to pick only one bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    I just got in my new Wiebad mini Fortune Cookie. It is a very nice size and fill weight, and should be useful in a number of tasks, including rear bag challenges as discussed above.
    Crews, I've seen these - looks like an interesting concept!

Reviewing my mental notes from this week's range session, I'm still left with the conclusion that the rear bag was too tall, too stiff and too wobbly. I could never get the rifle adequately stable, the rear of the rifle felt like it was teetering on the bag. But before I purchase another bag, I'm going to remove some of the filling from the CrossTac and see if that helps.

Same thing I deducted from trying that bag. Wanted to like it but if you need it to be that tall, it’ll need to be wider as well to be stable enough.

The Wiebad pump pillow has a very lightweight fill that’s going to probably be very similar to what’s in the Crosstac. Interesting concept to use something that big, I’m sure there are some merits for practical field use. As far as shooting off the bench, so far I’ve had better luck with heavier poly fill options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    Same thing I deducted from trying that bag. Wanted to like it but if you need it to be that tall, it’ll need to be wider as well to be stable enough.
    So I have an old Kinesisgear.com (now defunct) bag made for stabilizing a DSLR camera. It is designed to fold in half with the ends secured together with two straps. I wrapped it around the CrossTac bag and secured it in place with the two straps;

The Kinesis bag by itself is too soft but with it wrapped around the CrossTac, it's just right;

With this combination I can get the rifle extremely stable. I can establish my NPA and it doesn't move, even if I lift my head off the stock. At least in dry firing it is rock solid, seems to be the right size and allows generous elevation tweaking by using my forearm to compress it against my chest. I will be putting it to the live-fire test soon.

Some more updates;

I decided to give an Accu-Shot Monopod a try in place of a rear bag. I used a Seekins SRS Rail to attach it to the bottom of the buttstock, which happens to be flat and the rail fits there perfectly.

I've also been experimenting with factory loads (hope to get back to hand-loading in 2019), with the .308 Federal Fusion 180 load showing some promise on a pervious outing. This is a boat-tail soft-point bonded bullet with a decent BC and a reputation for superb terminal performance, so I picked up a few more boxes to give it a more thorough trial.

The range was covered in iced-over snow so shooting prone was a challenge. I used a shipping blanket to lay on which helped me from getting cold but didn't offer much purchase for the bipod feet.

With the target stand set up at 200 yards, I fired three rounds from the cold, clean bore to check my zero. Three clicks up and one left were needed to tweak the zero that was previously set with the Federal GMM 175 load, the next three rounds went into a .450 MOA group. After trying the Hornady 178 ELD load (which the rifle didn't care for), I fired one more 5-shot group with the Fusion load before calling it a day;

Name:  700target-1.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  57.5 KB

For a hard-hitting load with excellent terminal ballistics, I'm thinking I'm going to stock up on this one.

Overall I very much like the Accu-Shot Monopod. Though it's not quite as stable as full size rear bag (my pulse causes noticeable lateral movement), it's a fraction of the weight and stays attached to the rifle. I believe with some more dry firing and working my prone position I should be able to wring more of the accuracy potential out of this rifle.

Before packing up for the day I took a few shots of the rifle as it now stands, this one my favorite;

Name:  700-1.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  70.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Some more updates;

I decided to give an Accu-Shot Monopod a try in place of a rear bag. I used a Seekins SRS Rail to attach it to the bottom of the buttstock, which happens to be flat and the rail fits there perfectly.

I've also been experimenting with factory loads (hope to get back to hand-loading in 2019), with the .308 Federal Fusion 180 load showing some promise on a pervious outing. This is a boat-tail soft-point bonded bullet with a decent BC and a reputation for superb terminal performance, so I picked up a few more boxes to give it a more thorough trial.

The range was covered in iced-over snow so shooting prone was a challenge. I used a shipping blanket to lay on which helped me from getting cold but didn't offer much purchase for the bipod feet.

With the target stand set up at 200 yards, I fired three rounds from the cold, clean bore to check my zero. Three clicks up and one left were needed to tweak the zero that was previously set with the Federal GMM 175 load, the next three rounds went into a .450 MOA group. After trying the Hornady 178 ELD load (which the rifle didn't care for), I fired one more 5-shot group with the Fusion load before calling it a day;

Name:  700target-1.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  57.5 KB

For a hard-hitting load with excellent terminal ballistics, I'm thinking I'm going to stock up on this one.

Overall I very much like the Accu-Shot Monopod. Though it's not quite as stable as full size rear bag (my pulse causes noticeable lateral movement), it's a fraction of the weight and stays attached to the rifle. I believe with some more dry firing and working my prone position I should be able to wring more of the accuracy potential out of this rifle.

Before packing up for the day I took a few shots of the rifle as it now stands, this one my favorite;

Name:  700-1.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  70.2 KB
    That makes me want a bolt gun.

Fusion factory ammo been outstanding in every caliber I've tried. It performs well on game and provides above average accuracy, sometimes approaching factory "match" level performance. It also doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I believe there is even a rebate for it currently.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    That makes me want a bolt gun.
    I was an avid hand-loader for several decades, working up loads for bolt-action rifles is extremely gratifying. A decent bolt gun is capable of extraordinary precision with a custom-tailored load. I plan is to get back into it in 2019 to see what this one can do.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Fusion factory ammo been outstanding in every caliber I've tried. It performs well on game and provides above average accuracy, sometimes approaching factory "match" level performance. It also doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I believe there is even a rebate for it currently.
    In this rifle it seems to equal the Federal 175 GMM load in terms of precision, but with better terminal ballistics. The $5.00 a box rebate for select Federal ammo ends today;

https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/...6/71/EntryForm

Academy Sports has this ammo for $20.99 a box with free shipping - nets out to $15.99 a box with rebate;

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/fed...ldCatid=552954
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-31-2018 at 05:58 AM.

Another Five Benjamins

More $$ into the pit;

Name:  bipod-1.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  65.3 KB

Atlas BT35-LW17 5-H mounted using a Seekins SRS 4-inch rail.

I was growing frustrated with the Harris bipod - the rifle did not feel locked-down stable and the cant pivot could be easily moved out of adjustment. The Atlas 5H is a beast compared to the Harris, and is built like a brick poop house (as it should be for the $$ spent). Laying behind the rifle dry firing, it is rock-solid and the reticle remains far more stable on the target, even using just the monopod in the rear.

Though it now may be spring before I'm inclined to lay on the ground at the range, I'm confident this new bipod will give me the stability I was missing.

Site Supporter
    Have you shot any of Pemi's new precision rifle matches?

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Have you shot any of Pemi's new precision rifle matches?
    Eric, I have not. BTW, they also run "gong shoots" with multiple steel targets placed from 100 to 600 yards, which look like a lot of fun too.

I like what they're doing there - they now have steel permanently set up at 480 yards and 600 yards, and of course you can set up your own targets at any distance up to about 300 yards. I also have an 8-inch round steel plate I can set up on my own stand, which when placed at 300 yards is great practice with the AR from an unsupported prone position.

I think I'm now really close to having my bolt gun set up to my liking and am looking forward to getting there again.

User Tag List