Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Rem 700 SPS Tac $$ Pit

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Done right, it will never need replaced.
    That's the goal. My previous attempts at a precision-rifle-on-a-budget never got me to where I wanted to be.

I've also arrived at the conclusion that a single high-quality, purpose-built long gun is better than a handful of mediocre ones. My small collection now reflects that mindset.

Build it up right and use it. Then pass it on.
    Yes, there is much wisdom in that approach.

Name:  IMG_0041.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  73.4 KBName:  IMG_0041.jpg
Size:  73.4 KBName:  IMG_0041.jpg
Size:  73.4 KB

This what my $10k bought me....... and will never come close to being recovered. Flip side is, if ever I need to make another 2000 yard shot, I have the experience and confidence with this rifle to know it can get the job done. Though as I age, I'm afraid I'm not the shooter I once was, and more often than not these days, I'm lucky to hit water if I fall out of a boat.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

The A5 is a little overbuilt, but I suppose it's better than the alternative. I'm happy with it over the others I've used.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Sean, nice looking rifle!

I ordered my A5 from McMillan's list of Inlet Ready inventory. It's a standard A5 (non-adjustable) stock but is being delivered inletted for my specific barrel contour with pillars installed within five weeks of placing the order.

By the time I bought the McMillan stock and the Badger M5 Enhanced bottom metal, there were several chassis options I was considering in the same price range. But I'm somewhat of a traditionalist and could never warm up to the aesthetics of a chassis.

I took delivery of the McMillan A5 yesterday. It was ordered on May 30 from their inlet-ready inventory and delivered on July 6.

This is the first Teir-1 stock I have owned (used B&C and the Magpul Hunter in the past) and the quality of the McMillan is immediately obvious: beautifully finished (no rough edges), excellent ergonomics and extremely rigid. The inletting is very nicely done, fits the Badger Ordnance M5 perfectly. In fact it's machined so closely that it is held in place by friction fit so I probably won't bother bedding the bottom metal. Weight as shown below (minus bipod but with bottom metal and mag) is 3 pounds-12 ounces.

My barreled action is due to arrive on Monday so I will test fit it then, but in any case my plan is to bed the action with Marine Tex. Even though it's inletted to free float the barrel, according to my caliper measurements it's very closely machined to the M24 barrel contour. I will be painting the barrel channel with Krylon in flat OD Green to avoid any view of the unfinished fiberglass.

Over all, very impressive quality that can only be appreciated with hands-on inspection vs. the lower cost alternatives.

I did it once for a precision rifle. Done right, it will never need replaced. Just don't be like the countless tool bags who dump a shit ton of money into their custom dream build, then expect to recover that money when you try to sell it. Build it up right and use it. Then pass it on. It will never be worth what you paid for it to anyone except you, and hopefully the person who gets it handed down to them.
    +1

Don't know how many times I've seen guys run an ad listing or put a gun on their a monthly gunshow table for months, sometimes over a year. The gun goes unsold. A glaring clue that their price is too damned high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    I picked up a great deal on a custom 6.5 Creedmoor because as stated above - there is a limited market for a high dollar rifle and you rarely get all your money out of the original purchase. I am a very big fan of buying clean, used guns.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I took delivery of the McMillan A5 yesterday. It was ordered on May 30 from their inlet-ready inventory and delivered on July 6.

Very nice! I like the color scheme.

Is it already bedded or do you still need to do that? Skim?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Very nice! I like the color scheme.
    Thanks! I have a thing for green/black, this is the B&C I rattle-canned a few years ago;

I had my re-barreled action Cerakoted in Sig Dark Grey (dark grey with a slight green tint), which I think will look good with the new stock.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Is it already bedded or do you still need to do that? Skim?
    The pillars are installed by McMillan, I'll be doing the bedding myself (it will essentially be a skim bed).

My freshly trued/re-barreled/Cerakoted barreled action was delivered today and as expected, the work looks top notch.

The real treat was when I dropped the barreled action into the A5 for the first time and bolted it down. Talk about inletting perfection, the barrel is perfectly centered in the stock with just enough clearance to allow a strip of paper to pass under the barrel all the way to the lug. The gap at the end of the stock is perfectly even. Testing for action stress by loosening just the front action screw, I can detect no movement between the barrel and the stock. Wow!

I plan on having the action skim bedded and the rifle fully reassembled this weekend. The Sig Dark Grey looks really nice with the black/olive stock - photos will be posted this weekend!

User Tag List