Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Rem 700 SPS Tac $$ Pit

Sounds like a great project! What is your ultimate goal? Benchrest? PRS type shooting?

What kind of bullets are you shooting? Reloads?

Most of the SPS barrels I have seen will shoot in the 0.6 - 0.8 MOA range which is good enough for most people but if you want to shrink the groups, a Bartlein is a good way to do it. I have one on my 6.5x47L and it has been excellent.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Sounds like a great project! What is your ultimate goal? Benchrest? PRS type shooting?

What kind of bullets are you shooting? Reloads?
    I don't shoot competively much any more so this is mostly for recreational purposes.

Right now mostly Federal Gold Medal Match. Since we moved to NH nine years ago we don't have a suitable space in our current house for reloading, but I was very much into it in NY where we had a full unfinished basement. If we end up back there a place to set up my reloading bench will be a priority. That's something I'd really look forward to.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 06-06-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Typo

Very impressed with Mike Bryant so far. He contacted me via email the day after my package was delivered and after taking a look at the action, recommended installing a Holland bolt handle . He stated that just about every new Remington action that comes into his shop suffers from inadequate primary extraction due to improper placement of the bolt handle on the bolt in relation to the extraction cam on the receiver. The new bolt handle will be TIG welded to the bolt (as opposed to silver soldered from the factory).

Also order a Badger Ordnance M5 Enhanced Detachable Magazine System this evening. The plastic smolders....

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Very impressed with Mike Bryant so far. He contacted me via email the day after my package was delivered and after taking a look at the action, recommended installing a Holland bolt handle . He stated that just about every new Remington action that comes into his shop suffers from inadequate primary extraction due to improper placement of the bolt handle on the bolt in relation to the extraction cam on the receiver. The new bolt handle will be TIG welded to the bolt (as opposed to silver soldered from the factory).

Also order a Badger Ordnance M5 Enhanced Detachable Magazine System this evening. The plastic smolders....

My brother broke an M40s bolt handle in Mountain Sniper school at Bridgeport.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My brother broke an M40s bolt handle in Mountain Sniper school at Bridgeport.
    After watching a video of a factory Rem bolt handle being unsoldered this does not surprise me. I'm guessing the M40 had a factory soldered handle?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I don't shoot competively much any more so this is mostly for recreational purposes.
    There is a precision rifle match up north. I haven't shot it, but its been something I've been thinking about.

https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/profiles/club/19/

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    There is a precision rifle match up north. I haven't shot it, but its been something I've been thinking about.

https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/profiles/club/19/
    That looks like a fun event! Doubtful I'll have my rifle back by then, maybe they'll run another one late summer/early fall.

My anticipation builds....

Both the A5 stock (factory inletted for the M24 profile barrel, pillars already installed) and the trued/Bartlein re-barreled/Cerakoted barreled action arrive this coming week, as will a fresh batch of Marine Tex for bedding the action. New Badger Ordnance Enhanced M5 bottom metal already here as well as a new Badger Ordnance 20 MOA steel base with recoil lug, both of which will also be bedded. I'll be using Federal 168 and 175 GMM for the test drive, which should happen in a few weeks.

This rifle will set a new personal record for me in terms of investment in a single firearm - I remain hopeful that it will prove worth it.

Photos to be posted soon...
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 07-01-2017 at 08:09 AM.

I'm looking forward to it
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I did it once for a precision rifle. Done right, it will never need replaced. Just don't be like the countless tool bags who dump a shit ton of money into their custom dream build, then expect to recover that money when you try to sell it. Build it up right and use it. Then pass it on. It will never be worth what you paid for it to anyone except you, and hopefully the person who gets it handed down to them.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 07-02-2017 at 06:54 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List