Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Rem 700 SPS Tac $$ Pit

My Rem 700 SPS Tac $$ Pit

For decades I have lusted for a Remington 700 Police. I've always enjoyed shooting precision rifles, if only on a bench with bags at 100 yards seeing how small of a group I could make.

Fast forward to a few years ago when I decided to take the plunge with a SPS Tac in .308 with a 20" barrel, which immediately went into a B&C stock with a Timney trigger. That set up shot pretty well, under 1 MOA 99% of the time and more typically around .75 MOA. I even shot a group or two that were better than .5 MOA, but the .75 MOA average held over the course of three different stocks: the B&C, a Stocky's laminated and most recently with a Magpul Hunter 700. The Magpul stock was notable in that with it the rifle has produced my best 5-shot group @ 100 yards ever, but also the largest percentage of approximately 1 MOA groups.

What the Magpul stock also did was to get me off the bench onto a bipod (and tripod) and start shooting at longer ranges. It was when I did this that the deficiencies of both the rifle and my technique became much more apparent, and not really satisfied with the performance I found myself at a crossroad - time to quit or spend even more $$ to make the rifle what I want it to be: consistently capable of .5 MOA or better?

I had to make a decision if it was worth selling off some AR stuff to fund a major investment in the 700. As of last week, the process was set in motion with the following purchases (and the GA Precision Crusader serving as inspiration);

• A new Bartlein barrel, 25" long stainless steel blank in .308, 1 in 10 twist, M40 profile with 5R rifling
    • A McMillan A5 in vertical black-olive marble, being inletted for M5 DBM and the M40 barrel profile (from their "inlet ready" inventory)
    • A deposit check and the pieces sent to Mike Bryant to have the barrel cut to 23" and installed, the action trued and the new barreled action Cerakoted in Sig Dark Grey

For now I will be sticking with the SWFA 10X42 HD scope, which has served me very well. Maybe I'll sell off more stuff to upgrade that at some point.

I'm at least a few months away from having the new build in-hand, but hopefully it will be the rifle I have always lusted for.

Can't fault a single decision that you have made. Some would recommend a better trigger, but I'm not a fan of light (expensive) triggers. Selling the Magpul stock on here?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Can't fault a single decision that you have made. Some would recommend a better trigger, but I'm not a fan of light (expensive) triggers. Selling the Magpul stock on here?
    I have the Timney set to three pounds which is light enough for me. It breaks cleanly with little over travel so it currently works quite well for me. I listed the Magpul stock on SH and it's already gone.

The Bartlein came from their on-hand inventory list and is already on its way to Bryant. Mike is at a two month lead time and the stock is six to eight weeks. Looks like it will all come together in August.

cant wait to hear and see the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by butler coach View Post
    cant wait to hear and see the updates.
    There will undoubtedly be a glamour shot session before I know how it shoots. :-)

as long as you got good pictures and good equipment it will always look like you know what you are doing. LOl.... there is a guy at the local club has nice looking stuff talks a good game but you never see him shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by butler coach View Post
    as long as you got good pictures and good equipment it will always look like you know what you are doing. LOl.... there is a guy at the local club has nice looking stuff talks a good game but you never see him shooting.
    I wish I could afford to do that!

I've been wanting to have my .308, 700 SPS Tac worked on. I did the Timney trigger and bedded it in a B&C Medalist 2. It consistently shoots .75 MOA at short range(<300 yds) with a Trijicon TR23-2: AccuPoint® 5-20x50 scope.

I don't get to stretch it out and don't even get to shoot at 300 very often so It's hard to justify the cash for the accurizing. Needless to say, I'm waiting for pics of your rifle to enjoy it via proxy.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Site Supporter
    I'd leave the barrel at 25", so it will last longer: when the throat is toast, cut your 2" off at the chamber end, re-thread and rechamber.

Are you going to thread the muzzle and get a suppressor?

This type of project has tempted me for a long time. Less of a money pit than a horse, boat, or race car.
    Last edited by Duelist; 06-06-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Are you going to thread the muzzle and get a suppressor?
    Negative, having a M40 style crown cut.

Truth be told there's a bit of back story to this project - not only have I been wanting to do this but there's also a possibility that my employment will be taking me back to New York and their full-retard SAFE Act. I would be able to (eventually) bring the pistols but the ARs would be a no-go. If my relocation comes to fruition, at least I'd have the funds to upgrade the scope. :-/

User Tag List