Now about 20 months into this project and some final details being addressed. One of the last was setting up this 14-pound rifle with a sling suitable for both positional shooting and patrol carry position.

Using sling attachment points on the bottom of the rifle obviously makes the rifle hang upside-down in patrol carry. I spent quite of bit of research time to determine what would be the best locations and the best hardware for my intended use.

For the rear attachment I went with the Grovtec Hollow Stock Push Button Base - GTHM198. This cup features the hex opening at the base of the cup to screw the cup into a threaded hole. It also has a flange that makes for a very clean installation. The bitch with fiberglass stocks is that they're almost impossible to drill without chipping the gel coat, and the flange covered the minor edge chipping perfectly. I tapped the hole (9/16-18 TPI) and anchored it with JB Weld;

Name:  700sling-3.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  98.6 KB

After experiencing the gel coat chipping challenge installing the rear cup, I abandoned the idea of doing the same up front in the side of the forearm. Since I already had a Seekins SRS rail installed for the new bipod, I researched the idea of simply attaching the sling to the very well secured rail. I ended up using a Magpul RSA and a Blue Force Gear Belt Fed Loop. Here is what that arrangement looks like;

Name:  700sling-1.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  700sling-2.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  79.1 KB

The sling is a Blue Force Gear Vickers I already had, to which I added a PIG Universal Sling Pad.

The rifle hangs perfectly in the patrol carry position and the front attachment point has plenty of flexibility for Hasty sling support in field positions. Though I wouldn't classify it as a true quick attach/detach arrangement, it's not difficult to use and is certainly convenient enough for the intended use. The PIG pad helps tremendously for the patrol carry position.

There may be a TAB PRS sling in my future but for now this arrangement seems to meet my needs quite well. Maybe I'm finally seeing the bottom of this money pit!