Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Winding-Down LE Career. (Big-City PD)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I have 18.5 years in... I can go in 3 years, 2 months, 30 days... but who's counting? I have mixed emotions on going out. I won't miss the politics or the bullshit, but I will miss all of my friends/co workers. Having had "time on the beach", I know I will need something to keep me occupied, at least a part time job. So, do I go at 50, or hang on for a few more years and a little more cash? I guess I will cross that bridge in 3 years, 2 months, 30 days.

I can say I just spent two weeks off caring for my grandson. My daughter had a two week class at Fletc, and since the little booger is breast feeding, he had to tag along. I have lots of leave, so I went to watch him during the day while she was in class. Best trip in years. I got to bond with the boy all day, and spend the evenings with my daughter as she polished boots and brass for the next day while I ironed and creased her uniform as I sipped a bourbon. I ignored my work phone as much as I could. My wife even flew in flew in for a few days. If that is what retirement is, I can get used to it.

My daughter and grandson... I am blessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beautiful!

Truly you are blessed.

Ive got approximately 9 years left....cant freaking wait

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Two reasons right there to pull the plug, Gadfly. My own kids are still young, but they're adolescents and changing a lot right now. It is constantly occuring to me how much of them I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Two reasons right there to pull the plug, Gadfly. My own kids are still young, but they're adolescents and changing a lot right now. It is constantly occuring to me how much of them I'm missing.
    I did a little math just yesterday on my savings and retirement pay... At 50, I could go, but it would be way lean living. If I go at 55, I will be about $20k per year more in retirement pay... Looks like 2025 is the year I pull the rip cord!
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

One of my FTOs was buried yesterday. He had retired in 2008, after 26 years with HPD, and prior LE service in the Chicago area. Rest in peace, Daniel Paul Fike.

At the funeral, I saw many many co-workers, who are now retirees. Every one of them, who spoke on the subject, advised me to go ahead and retire, soon.

Last week, I scheduled to burn accumulated leave from Thanksgiving weekend to Christmas Eve. (I was pleasantly surprised to find this entire stretch of time still available.) Being the only grandparent within driving distance, I will be much-needed to help with my first grandson, because Grandson #2 is on the way.

Grandson #2 will arrive in the week between Christmas and the New Year, a week which is not available for me to pre-schedule leave, as the "Red Book" is already maxed-out. The roll-call/admin sergeant does understand, of course, that I will be calling-in when the birth is imminent. This is obviously inconvenient for holiday staffing levels, but, babies happen, regardless of the best-laid plans of mice and men.

In October, I will be able to request up to thirty days of leave for 2018, and I will, likely, request the first thirty working days of 2018, which reaches well into February. In November, I can then request more time in 2018, based upon a first-come, first-served basis, subject to some limitations on using some types of leave, which would require Assistant Chief-level approval. Depending upon availability of specific dates, it looks like my launch window will open on February Ninth, and I will likely be either in Phase-Down, or retired, well before Summer 2018. (One Phase-Down option is to remain an active peace officer, full-pay, but not reporting to work, except for any mandated in-service training.)

It would take something like a very rare opening in the PD photo lab, or the creation of a new photography-oriented investigator position, to get me to stay. (My one job skill, that is difficult to replace, is photographing the injuries of living, breathing assault victims.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-13-2017 at 04:09 PM.

User Tag List