Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: P220 w/ Internal Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There's a thread from about a year ago dealing specifically with aluminum vs steel classic Sigs.

Short version, as my pea brain retains it, is there are pluses and minuses in both shootability and durability.
    Any idea what it might be called?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

Steel vs. aluminum frame (Sig in particular, but mainly in general)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Pretty easy to find with the Google search our shitty mods put up at the top of every page.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ly-in-general)
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

It comes right up if you search for "Trollop". Or Trollip. LOL.

So I need two springs and a new mainspring seat in order for the new grips to fit? Seems too easy...
    You can replace your current 220 grips with a number of different aftermarket versions (like Hogues, etc...) without changing anything. The E2 grip (which I personally happen to detest) is the only one that requires you replace the style of strut/spring/seat.

Quote Originally Posted by jck397 View Post
    If you have the older style metal mainspring seat that captures the mainspring, it's a good idea to use all three hands to keep from marring the frame as you remove it. Phone a friend and wear safety glasses.
    FWIW, taking the older style strut and mainspring out together is no more difficult than with the plastic seat, IMO. Taking the retaining pin out of the old style strut and removing the spring on the other hand indeed requires some fuckery. I use an old ski vice to compress the spring in order to remove the pin. Which makes it pretty simple, but still a lot more of a PITA than the newer versions. There's a guy that makes a tool he sells on the web specifically for this task, IIRC.

Also @ ck397, I'd forgotten about that linked thread. But yeah, that pretty much still summarizes my take on the heavy gun vs light gun thing. The only thing I'd add is that, in a similar fashion to a slicked up trigger allowing you to "get away with more", I surmise heavier guns allow you to potentially "get away with" a less firm grip to some extent.

About your feeding issues.
    A unmarked 220 mag is probably made by ProMag. Not the best quality. SIG mags alone might fix it.

I ordered and received 2 brand new SIG marked P220 magazines. They both lock back on empty and eject with blinding speed. I also ordered a brand new recoil spring and got that installed. It was significantly longer and stronger than the recoil spring that was in there when I bought the pistol. Taking it to the range today to confirm function. Should be an interesting experience.

Had this typed once and lost it. This thread inspired me to talk dad into digging out his old backup P220. It shoots as well as I remember. The trigger is a lot different than the internal extractor P220 that I had though. Much heavier in DA and SA and is had a serrated face. The only thing I can think of is it was speced out just like their duty guns were. It was a personal purchase direct from Sig while he was part of the department transition team.

It really made me want to pick another one up. It's a great size for a .45. It would be my Sig fanboy version of an HK45c. There's a P220r listed locally that has had an action job done by Sig and has a factory green frame. It's priced right and really tempting. Just need a pistol to sell first.

Yeah, that serrated trigger. That thing doesn't do me any favors as after 100 rounds of .45 Auto I now have a nice little blister on my trigger finger from it. I also now have a nice blister on the base of my thumb thanks to how high I grip the pistol and how the edge of the tang digs and pinches during Recoil.

On the plus side the new SIG mags are working flawlessly so far. New Recoil spring seems to have smoothed things out slightly as well.

Overall I really like it. Probably not something I'll be shooting a lot of rounds through though. I definitely see why they moved to the smooth face trigger and why some trims of the Classic P-series come with an extended beaver tail.

User Tag List