Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    It looks like Goerlich has an account here (I'm assuming that's who @RCSMichael is) but he hasn't swung by since last September.

And can you blame him?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In their latest gear email, they were selling a run of J Frame VG2s (for 60 f***ing dollars). They were not IM plastic like the Glock VG2. They were either kydex or boltaron as Tam stated.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It looks like Goerlich has an account here (I'm assuming that's who @RCSMichael is) but he hasn't swung by since last September.

And can you blame him?
    That's him.

Can't blame him though he's not been run off so that's a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Current production Phantoms are Boltaron, AFAIK.

The term "Kydex" has become the equivalent of "Kleenex" and people tend to use it to refer to all kinds of sheet thermoplastics.
    This ^^^^.

Raven has designed some of their newer holsters such as the Eidolon from the ground up to be injection molded but the Phantom line is still made of sheet thermoplastic, specifically Boltaron.

As Tam said Kydex has become a generic term, last time I looked into this there were over 40 types of Kydex style sheet thermoplastic.

Kynate before you start bashing Raven do some research on Kydex vs boltaron - there are numerous articles and YouTube videos explaining why many holster and knife sheath makers prefer Boltaron.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-05-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Hillsman has used Boltaron for a while, here's their explanation of the product.

http://www.hillsmanholster.com/FAQ.html
    Great explanation. Original Kydex actually dates back to the 1960's.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Kynate before you start bashing Raven do some research on Kydex vs boltaron - there are numerous articles and YouTube videos explaining why many holster and knife sheath makers prefer Boltaron.
    In all fairness many of those videos are wrong and folks don't quite understand the materials and their differences and often equate price to quality.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This ^^^^.

Raven has designed some of their newer holsters such as the Eidolon from the ground up to be injection molded but the Phantom line is still made of sheet thermoplastic, specifically Boltaron.

As Tam said Kydex has become a generic term, last time I looked into this there were over 40 types of Kydex style sheet thermoplastic.

Hey man I ain't bashing anyone but when a manufacturer doesn't update their website and I get something in the mail that doesn't look a thing like what I ordered and then I call said company and they tell me its a new design and its not made out of Kydex which is whats clearly stated on the website I get upset about it. I'm simply reporting my experiences. The information in my first post is exactly what I was told. I decided to investigate further thus the reason for a updated post with more information. I'm just relaying my experiences the only ones making Raven look bad is Raven. They should do a better job updating the website and making sure the people answering the phones know what they are talking about. My opinion is that something sounds funny "TO ME" and I wont be spending my money on a phantom holster. I'm not saying they are good or bad. I also wasn't aware that Kydex was a generic term. I guess I can start making cheap plastic holster now and call them Kydex. Glock may be considered a generic term to some people to mean pistol so I'm going to go git me a Hi-Point and list it as a Glock on Armslist and when someone complains I'm going to say oh that's a generic term for a pistol sorry.

Raven has an excellent return policy, if you're unhappy with anything they'll take care of you.

FWIW I got a Raven Phantom for a Sig P320 earlier this year and it was a great holster. If you're in the market for one I would get it assuming that's what you want.

I personally think Ravens prices have gotten a bit high, but you can get a quality holster for a lot of guns pretty quickly from them.

Quote Originally Posted by KyNate View Post
    Hey man I ain't bashing anyone but when a manufacturer doesn't update their website and I get something in the mail that doesn't look a thing like what I ordered and then I call said company and they tell me its a new design and its not made out of Kydex which is whats clearly stated on the website I get upset about it. I'm simply reporting my experiences. The information in my first post is exactly what I was told. I decided to investigate further thus the reason for a updated post with more information. I'm just relaying my experiences the only ones making Raven look bad is Raven. They should do a better job updating the website and making sure the people answering the phones know what they are talking about. My opinion is that something sounds funny "TO ME" and I wont be spending my money on a phantom holster. I'm not saying they are good or bad. I also wasn't aware that Kydex was a generic term. I guess I can start making cheap plastic holster now and call them Kydex. Glock may be considered a generic term to some people to mean pistol so I'm going to go git me a Hi-Point and list it as a Glock on Armslist and when someone complains I'm going to say oh that's a generic term for a pistol sorry.
    The problem here is they could have told you exactly what they do, how they do it, and what they do it with and by the time it hits a forum post it's so distorted and incorrect, just like the initial post in this thread, that it's the customer misrepresenting them.

Kydex is a brand of material. Boltaron is a brand of material. They both produce extruded acrylic sheet stock used for all sorts of things. Unless a consumer is purchasing for a contract requiring a specific material they're better off not knowing the material at all. I don't list material on my site at all. It's very clearly not worth the hassle when someone with a phd in Google decides to investigate.

Mods here are shit™

The thermoplastic descriptions on Tom's site, too.

User Tag List