Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shameless gunbroker good luck brag

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I often put in lowball bits on "want" guns on gunbroker, and I literally never, ever win them.

Today, thinking about how I prefer the old style extractor to the new long one, I put in a $450 bid on a no-reserve 226.

Welp, won it.

I'll swap recoil spring and mags to be safe, and maybe sights eventually since the front on it looks wonky, but go me for accidentally buying a wish list gun cheap.

2007 makes me a bit curious if I'll encounter quality control gaffes, but for that price I'm ready to find out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/650946186

Edit: Ordered new recoil spring guide, new recoil spring (yellow), new trigger bar spring, and an 18-round Mec-Gar Optimum flush-fit magazines. Now $545-ish into the gun with shipping and everything. Should be good to go once I decide what to replace the sights with. If Ameriglo makes a CAP like the one on my Glocks that's an easy choice.

Still sticking with my Glocks for any carry or home defense work, but this is a cheap way to round out my P-series collection.
    In the immortal words of Yosemite Sam...."Ah hate you!"

Site Supporter
    Looks like it might have the dreaded "knurled pin" in the slide for the firing pin. I remember when I did my armorer's cert on the platform back then agencies were setting up presses to get those pins in and out. That's a sweet score of a price.
    Last edited by newt; 06-05-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by newt View Post
    Looks like it might have the dreaded "knurled pin" in the slide for the firing pin. I remember when I did my armorer's cert on the platform back then agencies were setting up presses to get those pins in and out. That's a sweet score of a price.
    Is that a part I'm going to need to replace with any frequency?
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    No probably not at all. And even then not all of the knurled pins were so hard to get out. They moved away from those solid pins after a bit, and I think they have roll-type pins that they used before and after that you can replace them with. Although you'd need to ask someone with more recent armorer work/cert than I have. I'd call SIG and ask them about replacement pins that are not knurled. But most likely you're totally fine and won't ever need to.

newt

Nice score. I think I have a short trigger laying around with my Sig paraphernalia, if you want it message me and I'll send it to you.

Is that a part I'm going to need to replace with any frequency?
    The only reason you'll need to take that pin out is to access the firing pin and firing pin spring, both of which are listed as 20,000 round parts. You don't need to do anything with the pin to remove/replace the extractor.

The pins are a pain to get out--I did a full detail strip/cleaning on my highest round count SIG, an 06 P229, a couple of years ago, and it took quite a bit of whacking at the pin with a properly-sized cup tip punch before it started to move. Of course I was doing this at around 1 a.m. because I had started late and didn't realize how long it would take, and in my car port because I didn't want to disturb house guests with hammering...

I'm almost certain that newt is correct and that you can replace the solid knurled pin with a roll pin--if you look at the SIG CPO guns coming out of the factory, guns that originally had the knurled pins now have the roll pins. However, since the main downside to the knurl pin is the amount of profanity required to remove it (I have also heard they can break if you dry fire a lot and don't use a snap cap, so, uh, use a snap cap), going out of your way to replace it seems counter-productive. If you ever have the opportunity to have SOMEONE ELSE take your slide apart you might want to jump on that to replace it preemptively, but otherwise just wait until you actually have a need to get into the firing pin guts. Since it's not going to be your primary gun, it may take a lifetime or two until you have to deal with that headache.

I often put in lowball bits on "want" guns on gunbroker, and I literally never, ever win them.

Today, thinking about how I prefer the old style extractor to the new long one, I put in a $450 bid on a no-reserve 226.

Welp, won it.

I'll swap recoil spring and mags to be safe, and maybe sights eventually since the front on it looks wonky, but go me for accidentally buying a wish list gun cheap.

2007 makes me a bit curious if I'll encounter quality control gaffes, but for that price I'm ready to find out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/650946186

Edit: Ordered new recoil spring guide, new recoil spring (yellow), new trigger bar spring, and an 18-round Mec-Gar Optimum flush-fit magazines. Now $545-ish into the gun with shipping and everything. Should be good to go once I decide what to replace the sights with. If Ameriglo makes a CAP like the one on my Glocks that's an easy choice.

Still sticking with my Glocks for any carry or home defense work, but this is a cheap way to round out my P-series collection.
    Congrats on the win.

As far as the bold part, I happen to have an orange CAP sight (#8) that came off my P250. About 2 years old. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Vending Machine Operator
    So lemme get this straight. I've got taadski offering help with my buggered up P229, txhorns offering to throw a trigger my way, and now a CAP sight from Chuck? Lord, this place is alright! Maybe I'll just keep the thread going and one-piece-at-a-time my way to a second P226!

In all seriousness, the kindnesses are much appreciated. PMs will be inbound and I'll try to find ways to pay it forward.

Those are my favorite P226 variants.
    Short extractor, forward cocking serations and fiber front sight. That looks just like my Super Capacity Tactical from the same era. No issues other than some especially tight pins in the frame, but no reliability issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Vending Machine Operator
    Got it in today and just wanted to update that it is in exceptional condition. Better than the pics indicate. Only a notch below my CPO 2014 P226 .40/.357 and my bought-new 2015 P220. Needs new sights, but I've got the springs swapped, new 18-round MecGar magazines, and after a stripdown it appears to have a crisp bore, smooth and clean breech face, only a small barrel smile, and clean grips. It was minimally shot and well-maintained.

Can't beat that for $480 shipped.

Edit:

Oh, and I held a CZ P10C today. That thing is going to move a LOT of units. Profoundly similar feel, size, and trigger to a Glock 19 for about $100 less. I'll keep my 19 but the P10 is gonna be big.

Also played with the new forward-serrations Glock 17. I still think it's fugly but it adds a lot of utility.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 06-10-2017 at 05:51 PM.

User Tag List