Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Van Dunk Video re recoil control

I have found it is not just about "crossing the sticks" but the lateral pressure applied by the pinky and ring fingers into the sides of the grip. My constant struggle is getting to the desired grip in a timely manner. More thought later from a full keyboard.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    ...It almost seems counter [intuitive] as the heels of the hands want to separate from the grip but will not if your lock is set correct. It gives me a bit more leverage on the pistol. I have some injury issues in both upper limbs and this helps me.
    I highly appreciate this comment. This (counter-intuitive bit about heels of hands theoretically wanting to separate) has been an ongoing niggling worry of mine re: if I was doing it wrong or not.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Try using both methods at the same time. I set the lock with my support hand, side to side clamp or wringing a towel and roll the support thumb and index finger into the slide. It almost seems counter initiative as the heels of the hands want to separate from the grip but will not if your lock is set cortect. It gives me a bit more leverage on the pistol. I have some injury issues in both upper limbs and this helps me.
    Thanks. I'll give that a try!

I'm going to work on some tips gleaned from Vogel and Defoor with my G26, and maybe the G19 as well, today. They both seem to stress a very similar grip technique.

Thanks again, Joe, for bringing up this topic. It's something I've been wanting to concentrate on of late.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Works for some....not for me. I tried this years go and found the lower portion of my off hand grip slowly squirming off. For me the key to the grip is the clamping with the bottom three fingers and treating the hand like a vice giving equal pressure.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I have found it is not just about "crossing the sticks" but the lateral pressure applied by the pinky and ring fingers into the sides of the grip. My constant struggle is getting to the desired grip in a timely manner. More thought later from a full keyboard.

This is important to remember. I like to use the pressing of the hands together because it works for most people no matter what their grip.

His is an interesting way to view it. With a thumbs forward grip where the thumb is way forward the twisting/crossing of sticks seems to force the support thumb, more forward, drives the support ring and pinkie finger into the bottom of the grip and slightly loosens the pinkie and ring finger of my primary hand. I could work almost like relaxing the primary hand and tightening the support.

When I tried it with the thumb about even with my trigger finger (like many new people find easier) it could cause problems. Like many newer shooters who have problems with the grip slipping. If your support thumb is about even with your trigger finger on the grip twisting as he advocates causes me to shoot like I was holding a mouse gun. My pinkie and ring fingers of both hands just don't do much. If one has a thumbs way forward grip then it works pretty well.

Just something to remember depending on how forward one's thumb is with their thumbs forward grip.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I'll have to mess with this. For some reason I always interpreted it as applying even lateral pressure, like you were using a peck deck.
    David S.

Interesting, as i am always searching for better recoil management. I tried Vogels method, and it works when I can take the time to properly acquire it, but it is slow and uncomfortable for me. Honestly I am not sure if I have a recoil management issue or a sight tracking issue, probably both. Less movement would definitely make it easier to track the sights. The never ending journey continues.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Interesting, as i am always searching for better recoil management. I tried Vogels method, and it works when I can take the time to properly acquire it, but it is slow and uncomfortable for me. Honestly I am not sure if I have a recoil management issue or a sight tracking issue, probably both. Less movement would definitely make it easier to track the sights. The never ending journey continues.
    I found the same thing. I have to think through the process vs. the way I naturally draw and shoot from an OWB holster at qualifications or from concealment. I may experiment with it further but I'm not convinced based upon my hand size, structure and some injuries over the years, that it's necessarily a good fit for me.

I did find it pretty accurate for both slow and rapid fire when I set the grip up, however.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Lifting elbows up drives thenar eminences into a grip without moving the lower portion of hands away from the grip, at least, not nearly as much as wrist twisting motion does.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List