Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Van Dunk Video re recoil control

Paul Van Dunk Video re recoil control

I found this thought provoking. Not being extremely adept at recoil control I try to keep and open mind re methods.

I will try to play around with this concept in dry fire and some live fire when the monsoons pass.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...il-management/
    Last edited by JHC; 06-04-2017 at 11:27 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Similar concept to Vogel seen below at the 3:20 mark. Different visual demo, but technique appears very similar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc
    Taking a break from social media.

This is a.not so uncommon technique and I use it. We or at least I have discussed this technique here in a few various threads about grip and push / pull vs side to side pressures. Definitely a good visual descriptor of the technique as it is harder to convey in just written form.

I often tell people to make a thumbs forward grip without a gun in hand. Good forward wrist can't and while keeping the thumbs straight and forward roll your grip inward as if your trying to cross your thumb over thumb. I also think of putting a bit of flare in the elbows as if you are trying to point them outward. It is hard to describe, but the stick thing is a good visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    This is a.not so uncommon technique and I use it. We or at least I have discussed this technique here in a few various threads about grip and push / pull vs side to side pressures. Definitely a good visual descriptor of the technique as it is harder to convey in just written form.

I often tell people to make a thumbs forward grip without a gun in hand. Good forward wrist can't and while keeping the thumbs straight and forward roll your grip inward as if your trying to cross your thumb over thumb. I also think of putting a bit of flare in the elbows as if you are trying to point them outward. It is hard to describe, but the stick thing is a good visual.
    Oh yes, well remembered reads.

The thing here that made me go hmmm was based on the sticks as a prop to form an X and some of his gestures making a prying up sort of motion from opposing sides. If I interpreted him correctly.

I thought that injected a slightly different dimension to the elbows out and pec squeezing ideas.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    That's pretty interesting. I advocate something similar, but instead of twisting the hands in, I'll often tell students to twist their palms together as if they were throttling a motorcycle or wringing out a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Similar concept to Vogel seen below at the 3:20 mark. Different visual demo, but technique appears very similar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=45QhpvY9LZc
    Roger that but I've previously interpreted (perhaps mistakenly) his counter pressure to be opposing on a generally flat horizontal plane with torque; again in the same plane. Watching it again I do see some similarity. It might just have been Van Dunk's crossed sticks that got the point through my head.

Good discussion and timely as I've been giving thought to grip mechanics of late.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Roger that but I've previously interpreted (perhaps mistakenly) his counter pressure to be opposing on a generally flat horizontal plane with torque; again in the same plane. Watching it again I do see some similarity. It might just have been Van Dunk's crossed sticks that got the point through my head.
    If I am understanding your understanding of Vogel's technique I think you had it right from the beginning. In the class he came around and had each student hold the gun strong hand only. He then grips the gun with his support hand and so you can feel the amount and direction of torque or pressure. When it was my turn I only found inward at the top pressure on the horizontal plane right at the slide to frame line. I was surprised by how much pressure he used and it is part of what I am changing and working on.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
    That's pretty interesting. I advocate something similar, but instead of twisting the hands in, I'll often tell students to twist their palms together as if they were throttling a motorcycle or wringing out a towel.
    Try using both methods at the same time. I set the lock with my support hand, side to side clamp or wringing a towel and roll the support thumb and index finger into the slide. It almost seems counter initiative as the heels of the hands want to separate from the grip but will not if your lock is set cortect. It gives me a bit more leverage on the pistol. I have some injury issues in both upper limbs and this helps me.

User Tag List