Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Van hits pedestrians' on London Bridge in 'major incident'

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Watching the live TV in Fox, which I guess is Sky News UK, it seems remarkable the LEO activity would point to the incident not being resolved:

Scenes of 12-16 LEOs in Riot gear forming up, team of LEOs disrobing beside their Sprinter van to don Police overalls.
    What in the world was that? I've never seen such a thing, police down to their boxers in the middle of the road, only to put on riot gear to confront armed attackers?

Quote Originally Posted by NGP View Post
    What in the world was that? I've never seen such a thing, police down to their boxers in the middle of the road, only to put on riot gear to confront armed attackers?
    Who knows what those specific police officers' role was, or how they should be properly executing such.

This is that time where we don't assume we know everything, and perhaps ask for clarification from somebody who might know.

We have a resident former British LEO....maybe he could help understand, maybe not. Let's not make assumptions about their TTPs, though.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    From my reading of British mysteries, the overall change could be to collect evidence as the overalls are 'sterile' so to speak as compared to their regular duds. But what do I know?

Site Supporter
    Agreed, I don't mean to deride them or assume anything, it was just extremely odd thing to do in the midst of an active incident, to me and my narrow understanding of UK law enforcement.
    Last edited by NGP; 06-03-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Who knows what those specific police officers' role was, or how they should be properly executing such.

This is that time where we don't assume we know everything, and perhaps ask for clarification from somebody who might know.

We have a resident former British LEO....maybe he could help understand, maybe not. Let's not make assumptions about their TTPs, though.
    Paging @Chuteur...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

It gives me the willies watching the news feed of people egressing while holding their kids and knowing they're completely unarmed and left with nothing but luck that the next ally or corner they pass won't present another ill-intent crazy holding a knife.

ETA: Fox reporting two dead and 20 transported to hospitals.
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-03-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    FYI, this could happen in any City in the US at any time.
    Oh yes.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    This is a repeating theme because countries like the UK continue to allow political correctness to supercede logic and sovereignty.
    Yes - I 110% agree.

But, ask yourself this: Where do you draw the line between freedom's and a police state.

For those on the inside of the machine applying more controls in their many various forms can look pretty appealing: Checkpoints, random ID checks, looser powers of search and detainment, and of course internment.

However, as soon as you leave the machine and are no longer a component when you are subjected to those same controls it does not look so good.

That is the balancing act most of europe performs.

NOTE: I'm just catching up on all this now as I have been out all day.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    It gives me the willies watching the news feed of people egressing while holding their kids and knowing they're completely unarmed and left with nothing but luck that the next ally or corner they pass won't present another ill-intent crazy holding a knife.
    Realistically, the majority of people in the US in a similar situation would probably be similarly unarmed and clueless.
    Pragmatically, of course, there's always the chance that there's a sheepdog wannabe there just waiting to throw down...
    Or, you know, Suzie Homemaker reads the news, has woken up, and was one of the many women I saw shopping at the gunshow today.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I'm just spitballing here, but maybe a start would be to pump the brakes on people entering the country from nations where we can't vet their credentials, or from known supporters of terrorism. Or both maybe?

But what the hell do I know.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-03-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Paging @Chuteur...
    It totally depends on their tasking and the role they have. SOP for riot gear is generally flame resistant overall and if they were told to get into gear, well, they would, wherever they were. You will never hear everything on the news, not even the BBC, I know of [a]similar incident[s] where if the full facts had been released there would have been much more upset and worry.

The media is very co-operative with the authorities in the UK, they will not race to try and break a story like US news agencies, they will try their hardest to work with the authorities and expect, and generally receive a full press brief to be published after the incident. So there could have been all sorts going on, honest. You will also note that at UK press conferences there is one official spokesperson and not the mayor, police chief, fire chief and every bag carrier trying to stand in front of the camera......it keeps it simple, one message being put out there.

All in all from what I have gleaned from the UK it was a van attack, either two, three or four men jumped out wielding knives and set to stabbing anyone they bumped into and in another incident a man wearing what appeared to be cannisters on his body was tackled.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40146916
    Last edited by Chuteur; 06-03-2017 at 09:24 PM.

User Tag List