Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Shivworks push dagger

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I've written an e-mail to Knife Rights, asking them specifically about the legality of the SOB Punch Dagger in Texas (I focused on the SOB Punch Dagger because of its publicity, and Texas because that's where I live). When/if they respond, I will share it with everyone.

ETA: Well, that was fast. Here's the entirety of the response I received -

See:

https://kniferights.org/legislative-...-bill-hearing/

Also:

https://kniferights.org/resources/legal-blade/

Be advised that some states are considering bills that outlaw non-metallic “undetectable” knives.

Regards,

Doug Ritter
    Chairman and Executive Director
    Knife Rights, Inc.
    Knife Rights Foundation, Inc.
    www.KnifeRights.org
    twitter.com/KnifeRights
    facebook.com/KnifeRights
    Email: dritter@KnifeRights.org
    Last edited by Chance; 06-06-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    I recall reading a case in Pennsylvania wherein a knife that could be opened so that the blade was held either parallel or perpendicular to the handle was found to fall under the catchall class at the end of the statute prohibiting the carry of various weapons (18 Pa.C.S.A. sec. 908). The language in that statute dealing specifically with knives has been explained by the courts as only prohibiting switchblade knives, although it is sometimes misread by police to apply to double edged knives. I have not yet found any cases dealing specifically with a double edge knife. The bottom line, however, is that it is not just the wording applying to knives that must be considered, but also the catchall clause. Based on the cases I have found, I would advise against carrying a push dagger in Pennsylvania.

The result is most likely similar in most states, with a small number of exceptions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I've written an e-mail to Knife Rights, asking them specifically about the legality of the SOB Punch Dagger in Texas (I focused on the SOB Punch Dagger because of its publicity, and Texas because that's where I live). When/if they respond, I will share it with everyone.

ETA: Well, that was fast. Here's the entirety of the response I received -
    I spent the $2 to get the app in the 2nd link. It is useful, but READ THE STATUTES THEMSELVES AND DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THE CHARTS. The charts DO NOT tell the whole story, and often fail to include blade length limits that appear in the statutes.

The book, Knife Laws of the 50 States is a very good resource. http://www.gunlaws.com/KnifeLawsof50States.htm
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 06-07-2017 at 12:43 AM.

That app seems pretty sketchy, at least based on perusing a couple of locations that I have previously researched pretty hard. There are more thorough online sources.

Any updates? Checking Amazon and not finding.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Yup

Ban Tang has his own, they're rather nice at any price but his are relatively low cost.
    he does have nice stuff but every time I look at his blades I wonder how the heck you sharpen them. The nightmare grinds look even worse to sharpen than his standard fare.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I recall reading a case in Pennsylvania wherein a knife that could be opened so that the blade was held either parallel or perpendicular to the handle was found to fall under the catchall class at the end of the statute prohibiting the carry of various weapons (18 Pa.C.S.A. sec. 908). The language in that statute dealing specifically with knives has been explained by the courts as only prohibiting switchblade knives, although it is sometimes misread by police to apply to double edged knives. I have not yet found any cases dealing specifically with a double edge knife. The bottom line, however, is that it is not just the wording applying to knives that must be considered, but also the catchall clause. Based on the cases I have found, I would advise against carrying a push dagger in Pennsylvania.

The result is most likely similar in most states, with a small number of exceptions.
    In PA, per 908 - http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...hoice=suppress - subsection C, it clearly states "dagger" which would be any knife with two sharpened sides, and by state definition would be illegal to carry, but not to buy or own.

What case are you referring to?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    In PA, per 908 - http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...hoice=suppress - subsection C, it clearly states "dagger" which would be any knife with two sharpened sides, and by state definition would be illegal to carry, but not to buy or own.

Since 908 is so poorly worded it is up for local interpretation. We take the "compound sentence" approach and consider this phrase applicable to all of the aforementioned cutting tools "the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism,". We consider this to be a prohibition on switchblades only. The other knives regardless of grind are good to go. The take away is that, due to the poor wording, a knife carrier's LE experience may vary by location within the Commonwealth.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

That section is modified by the blade opening by a push button or switch. This is consistent with interpreting criminal statutes in the defendant's favor, as well as every court case I have found interpreting this section (unfortunately as dicta and not applying specifically to the facts of that case).

I have read a lot of cases over the past 20 or so years. I will need to look later to see the specific case.

I would still discourage carrying a double edge blade, not because it is illegal, but because you may end up arrested and paying a lawyer to prove it is legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Since 908 is so poorly worded it is up for local interpretation. We take the "compound sentence" approach and consider this phrase applicable to all of the aforementioned cutting tools "the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism,". We consider this to be a prohibition on switchblades only. The other knives regardless of grind are good to go. The take away is that, due to the poor wording, a knife carrier's LE experience may vary by location within the Commonwealth.
    Yeah I agree of course, its always up for officer discretion and local interpretation.

That said, walking around with a question mark over your head at any given time is not a good way to go about carrying a blade concealed.

Especially when there are other, just as good single sided options available.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List