Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Shivworks push dagger

Site Supporter
    Here in Alabam and much of the southeast it's Bowie knives that folks got all skeert of back in the 1800's and wrote laws against.

Here's the applicable law for the state of Alabama, but local municipalities can have their own ordinances. Of note, I don't remember the case, but a large kitchen knife was found to be of like kind or description to a Bowie knife.

Section 13A-11-50

Carrying concealed weapons.

Except as otherwise provided in this Code, a person who carries concealed about his person a bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description or a pistol or firearm of any other kind or an air gun shall, on conviction, be fined not less than $50.00 nor more than $500.00, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail or sentenced to hard labor for the county for not more than six months.

(Code 1852, §15; Code 1867, §3555; Code 1876, §4109; Code 1886, §3775; Code 1896, §4420; Code 1907, §6421; Code 1923, §3485; Code 1940, T. 14, §161; Code 1975, §13-6-120.)
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 06-05-2017 at 04:38 PM.

The TV show was one of the reasons I became fascinated by blades as a young lad...

Name:  JimBowie_title.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  32.8 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Knife Rights seems to be making some progress pushing back against those laws, because I also don't know what a "dirk" is. Craig talked about it on the VTAC podcast, so maybe he can explain it better (paging @SouthNarc).
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

A dirk is generally a wee dagger. (Although, apparently, it was also considered a long dagger. Go figure.)

So as long as the law refers to dirks as being outlawed...apparently they can make it whatever suits them at the time.
    Last edited by blues; 06-05-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Since my edit time expired here's a site that lists local city ordinances for a lot of the cities in Alabama, I didn't bother looking at other states, but a lot are listed. I only found one city in AL (I didn't check all the cities they had listed) that had additional knife laws for adults and that was Anniston with a ban on switch blades. I'm not a lawyer so don't trust me, but this does seem to be a useful site.

https://www.municode.com/library/

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Knife Rights seems to be making some progress pushing back against those laws, because I also don't know what a "dirk" is. Craig talked about it on the VTAC podcast, so maybe he can explain it better (paging @SouthNarc).
    Correct. Texas House bill 1935 made it through the Senate, and is on Greg Abbott's desk.

It does get rid of the "dirk, dagger or poinard" and Bowie knife language, and modifies the restricted locations.

So I still could not carry a push dagger to church. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    So I still could not carry a push dagger to church. Sigh.
    So just carry more guns.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    So just carry more guns.
    Glock 17 AIWB right hand side

S&W 342 in left front pocket

And before I cut back for Lent, a S&W 43c in an ankle holster.

If I carry any more metal, I'll ring like a church bell.

Glock 17 AIWB right hand side

S&W 342 in left front pocket

If I carry any more metal, I'll ring like a church bell.
    Just dedicate the push dagger for intruders and unwelcome visitors that show up on your doorstep.

You gave up a gun for Lent?

Heretic.

User Tag List