Thread: Sharpening my EDC?

Sharpening my EDC?

I have a Kershaw Clash serrated (partially serrated) which is made of 8Cr13MoV. It seems like it'd be sharpened like a regular blade. Other than the serrated section, is this something I should attempt (I've done our kitchen knives and my fillet knife with a set of stones) or is it better to take it to a knife shop?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    I have a Kershaw Clash serrated (partially serrated) which is made of 8Cr13MoV. It seems like it'd be sharpened like a regular blade. Other than the serrated section, is this something I should attempt (I've done our kitchen knives and my fillet knife with a set of stones) or is it better to take it to a knife shop?
    The steel itself should be maintainable by normal sharpening methods.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

You can sharpen it just like a non serrated blade. Eventually it will wear down the serrations a bit, but you can also get these slightly conical sharpeners to help preserve the serrations and keep them sharp. This one is DMT brand diamond coated. Name:  IMG_2703.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  38.8 KB

Simplest method is a Sharpmaker which will handle the serrations and the straight edge with equal aplomb...especially if you don't let it go too dull.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

How do you plan on sharpening it and what is your skill level? Like someone else said, the Spyderco Sharpmaker would be a good choice for the plain AND serrated edges… and it doesn’t take too much skill. I bought one over 30 years ago and the ceramic stones are still good. I got it specifically to sharpen my Spydercos when their SPYDIEDGE serrations was all the rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
    How do you plan on sharpening it and what is your skill level? Like someone else said, the Spyderco Sharpmaker would be a good choice for the plain AND serrated edges… and it doesn’t take too much skill. I bought one over 30 years ago and the ceramic stones are still good. I got it specifically to sharpen my Spydercos when their SPYDIEDGE serrations was all the rage.
    My skill level is pretty low lol. As I posted, I've successfully sharpened kitchen and fillet knives on stones but that's it. This is my first pocket knife--not sure how diff the blade is ground. I'll check out the above reco'd devices.

Site Supporter
    I've found the Sharpmaker to be a great all around system for maintenance.

If it’s an inexpensive knife and it’s being used and abused as a daily carry knife, I say go ahead and try sharpening it yourself. If you mess up the edge, you can try again or bring it to a pro. If you’re afraid of messing it up, go buy a cheep knife to practice sharpening on.

The great thing about the SharpMaker is that it’s easy to use and can me used on all your knives.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    My skill level is pretty low lol. As I posted, I've successfully sharpened kitchen and fillet knives on stones but that's it. This is my first pocket knife--not sure how diff the blade is ground. I'll check out the above reco'd devices.
    If you’ve successfully used a traditional stone, stick with it. The advantage of a stone is that you can sharpen virtually any type of grind (the limits of sharpening serrations are already mentioned) with the same stone by simply altering the technique. I have several dozen knives as a result of my occupation ranging from cheap Amazon paring knives to handmade Japanese knives and as long as you understand the basic grind design and intended angles of the bevels, they all can be sharpened on the same set of stones. Most of the sharpeners on the market lock you into a specific bevel angle and don’t allow for accommodating a flat, chisel or asymmetrical bevel and can negatively affect the performance of the blade. Depending on the steel used, or the intended use, you may find that you want a steeper or shallower grind for a particular blade which you can’t get from the most common sharpeners. I say stick with the stone you have for now, and possibly add a small file/steel to maintain the scalloped edges of the serrations. If it doesn’t work for you, you can grab something else later.

User Tag List