Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17,19 and hand size

Here's a possibly different explanation for your difficulty: your grip on the G19 isn't as strong/hard/tight as it should be in the first place.

Here's my reasoning: when you grip the G19, the size fits you so well and makes you feel so "locked in" that it gives you the illusion of gripping the gun as strongly as you should. The bigger size of the G17 doesn't "lock" your hand in as much and your "weaker" grip on that gun is giving you difficulties. There are quite a few threads on how to grip here that should give you some good pointers.

Without seeing you shoot, it's near impossible to diagnose what is going on, so I could very well be wrong in my attempt to diagnose what's happening with you. It may just simply be that the ergos are so different for your hand that the G17 will never work for you as well as the G19. Still, review the threads on gripping the pistol and start applying them to the G19 and 17 and I think you will start seeing improvements on your G17 shooting (as well as with your G19).

In any case, my suggestion is only worth what you paid for it :-)

It's easy to look at the Glock catalog and think that the G19 is just a slightly more concealable G17, but in practice, it's a completely different animal that happens to have some common parts.

If you shoot a G19 better than you shoot a G17 with less effort, then get a couple of more of G19's and you're set. Using G17 mags for reloads makes the G19 even sweeter.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It's easy to look at the Glock catalog and think that the G19 is just a slightly more concealable G17, but in practice, it's a completely different animal that happens to have some common parts.

If you shoot a G19 better than you shoot a G17 with less effort, then get a couple of more of G19's and you're set. Using G17 mags for reloads makes the G19 even sweeter.

Okie John
    I never thought about it like that. I always felt comfortable with the notion that both shot exactly the same for me, but I never looked at it critically.

I'll freely admit I haven't given the G17 the wring out it deserves, especially compared to the thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds I've put through various G19s over the last couple of decades. Lots of folks I trust implicitly tell me the G17 handles and shoots better, but I haven't found that to be the case, for me. Not sure if it's hand size, or familiarity, but it is what it is. If the G19 "works" better for you, then don't fight it, buy three and start trying to wear one out.

Thanks for all the help all! I have tried and tried to adjust my grip on the 17 to make it "fit" better and it just does not lock into my hand as well as the 19. I may tinker with the backstraps a bit more to see if I can get that vise like contact with the 17.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

I have the exact same issue. In general, most compact/subcompact guns fit me better than their big brothers. That being said, a Gen4 G17 with a GFA or one of the beavertail backstraps cut short does help me quite a bit. It's still not that same fit that the 19/26 has but it's better.

Ironically I was recently watching video of me shooting both the 17 and the 26 and I have better recoil control on the 26....to the point where the gun barely moves. I'm just able to mash more of the meat of my support hand into the side-panel and that translates into a better grip on the gun.

I shoot my 9mm PPS better than my Gen 3 G17, at least for the first few magazines.

I've been shooting my 23 a lot lately. I can shoot it more accurately than my 22 during slow fire.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Used a zev pro for a bit but took it off recently. Gana try the Magpul.
    Are the MAG940 magwells available yet?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Are the MAG940 magwells available yet?
    Just got one for 17 gen3 yesterday and waiting on the gen 3 and 4 19s to come in.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 06-06-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List