Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17,19 and hand size

I'm coming up on 5,000 rounds on my G19Gen4 soon. As soon as that happens I'll be detail stripping it, cleaning it, replacing all the springs, probably shoot another 100 rounds through it and then do nothing to it except carry it while I put close to 5,000 rounds through the G17Gen2 that I have. It's interesting that you bring fitment up between the G17 and G19 up as I've just recently discovered while doing a side-by-side comparison on drawing them from the holster that the G19Gen4 with no backstrap and G17Gen2 give me essentially the same LOP. I suspect this has something to do with where the hump on each of those pistols interfaces with my hand. It's definitely interesting though. I look forward to really working with the G17 over an extended period of time to see how it works for me. Who knows, I may end up preferring the G17 in the end.

I wonder how much of this is hand size related? For me, with XL size hands, the only 19 I can shoot without Dremel work is a 2nd Gen. The 4th Gen 19s are better than the 3rd, requiring less surgery. The smaller finger groove spacing on top simply kills my hands on an unmodified 3rd or 4th Gen 19. The 17 and 26 fit me fine. Because of the fit, I shoot the 17 noticeably better. I'd have to take a 26 over an unmodified 19 just because of fit.

Glock 17,19 and hand size

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I wonder how much of this is hand size related? For me, with XL size hands, the only 19 I can shoot without Dremel work is a 2nd Gen. The 4th Gen 19s are better than the 3rd, requiring less surgery. The smaller finger groove spacing on top simply kills my hands on an unmodified 3rd or 4th Gen 19. The 17 and 26 fit me fine. Because of the fit, I shoot the 17 noticeably better. I'd have to take a 26 over an unmodified 19 just because of fit.
    I imagine that hand size as well as hand shape and grip technique play a huge role. In general the 19 feels chunkier simply because of where the hump is and how it's shaped. I can get a grip on a gen 2 or gen 3 17 easier than I can a 19 of the same generations. I really need to start pitting my 17 and 19 against each other on a timer to see how I do. The finger grooves on gen 3 and gen 4 pistols don't bother me at all. I usually wear a medium sized glove which fits well to slightly snug, usually have some room in the fingertips.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Last edited by spinmove_; 06-13-2017 at 06:52 AM.

I can get splits faster with a 19, but I get hits better with a 17 or 34.

I can reload much more consistently with the full size.

Past 15 yards or so, the 34 pulls away and runs off from the 19 in speed and accuracy.

There's so many different metrics for performance you have to decide what's best for you.

Site Supporter
    I shoot my 26 better than the 19. I can only guess reasons. Perhaps your 17 and 19 have different recoil impulses which makes the 17 feel different. At the risk of stating the obvious, the two pistols feel different because they do indeed have slightly different though similar grips. You may be more in tune to this stuff than others. I have the ability to feel the most minute diferences between Smiths having so called exact d.a. trigger pulls. Some have accused me of faking this. I have a G gen 4 10mm. After switching back sraps around, the one I chose has the slightest almost imperceptible movement. It drives me nuts. Nobody else feels it.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I shoot my 26 better than the 19. I can only guess reasons. Perhaps your 17 and 19 have different recoil impulses which makes the 17 feel different. At the risk of stating the obvious, the two pistols feel different because they do indeed have slightly different though similar grips. You may be more in tune to this stuff than others. I have the ability to feel the most minute diferences between Smiths having so called exact d.a. trigger pulls. Some have accused me of faking this. I have a G gen 4 10mm. After switching back sraps around, the one I chose has the slightest almost imperceptible movement. It drives me nuts. Nobody else feels it.
    Have you tried running a 17/19/26 on a timer?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have not, and I admit that my experience omits an essential criterion.

I wear size medium gloves and I can run a 17 and a 26 far better than a 19. This is both at speed on a timer as well as slow fire at 25 yards. I don't know why but that 17/26 combo just works for me.

Since the last time I participated in this thread, I acquired and began to shoot a G/34 more than my G.19s.

I noticed that the G.34 Gen 4 does not give me glock knuckle or callouses the way a G.19 does. YMMV.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post

I noticed that the G.34 Gen 4 does not give me glock knuckle or callouses the way a G.19 does. YMMV.
    That is due to the reduced spacing on the top finger groove of the gen 3/4 G19's. Hence my preference for the Gen 2 and M model G19's.

User Tag List