Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17,19 and hand size

Glock 17,19 and hand size

Hey all,

I've been getting a ton of great information from the site over the last few years and wanted to pick everyone's brain with a question/issue I seem to be having. I've been a glock shooter for quite some time now and have always been a fan of the 4th gen 19 and the way in which it integrates with my hand and grip. I really feel as though I get a very solid grip on the pistol, as in there is no movement or wiggle as I fire the gun and it recoils. This leads me to my issue: I purchased a 4th gen 17 a few weeks ago and am noticing that I have to try very hard to control the pistol as well as I can control the 19. There feels to me like there is an increased "slop" in the way I grip the gun in a similar fashion to the 19. When I grip the 17 there is roughly 1/4" to 1/2' of grip that extends below my hands and for some reason I don't appear to have as solid a hold on the weapon as I do with the 19.

I shot both pistols including a glock 43 the other day at the range, all 3 with 147 grain speer lawman and the 17 was the most difficult for me to grip as firmly as I did with my 43 and 19. I've attached 2 photos of my SHO grip on the 19 and 17 as to illustrate how my hand interfaces with the frame of each pistol. I'm just curious if there's something aside from the hump on the backstrap, or the overall frame size that is effecting the way the gun performs in my hands. Both pistols are setup with the same trigger parts and connectors so I'm not sure that's a major factor. I may be in the minority or a complete nut job but the 19 points more naturally for me and again just fits my hand better.

As a benchmark I was shooting 3X5's at 10 yards and was struggling to keep the 17 on the cards but the 19 was grouping much tighter with less effort. I'm not opposed to picking up another 19 and eliminating the 17 if that's what ends up being the case, I just grabbed a 17 to see if the larger pistol helped with accuracy etc.

Curious if anyone has experienced the same issue or has any thoughts on what may or may not be going on. I bought the 17 as a range/HD gun, but I find the 19 taking that role on as it works better for me.

Thanks for any information you all can provide, apologies for any ramblings as I'm coming off the end of a 48 in the firehouse.
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 06-02-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

I kind of have the same issue.

I like a full size for all handling characteristics, but the compact locks my hand in better.

I found that removing the finger grooves and a little under cut makes the full size fall into my hand a lot more solid and they handle really well for me like that.

For me the hump at the bottom rear strap on the 17 makes my grip uncomfortable as it seems to weaken my grip as well as change the angle.

Hand size and shape play a role as the 17 and 19 grips are different enough to cause variation. Who likes what may be highly subjective. I much prefer the grip and frame of the Gen4 17 over the Gen4 19 and don't play as well with the 34 as I do the 17. Shoot whichever pistol works well for you.

I also "feel" like the 19 fits my hand better due to the placement of the backstrap "hump," however there is no measurable difference in actual performance for me between the full size frame and the 19. You may want to experiment with the medium or large backstrap on the 17 to see if that gives you a better feel.

I shoot the 19 better than my 17. I don't know why, I just do. Once I put a magwell on the 19 I instantly have an ever better gripping gun.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

"Larry", as you and I have discussed, my Gen 4 G17, (my only Gen 4 and only 17), is the best feeling and shooting Glock I've ever trained with.

My recently upgraded to Gen 3 G19 is a close second. When it was still a Gen 2 I don't think it was as close. Whether it's the new frame, grip or internals, I can't say.

I used to shoot my G26 as well or better than my 19 but now it's behind its two bigger brethren. It's odd how much difference small and incremental changes can make.

All three of mine are configured the same...Trijicon HDs, Gadget and Glockmeister grip plug.

Keep experimenting with it and maybe even different ammo to see what develops.
    Last edited by blues; 06-03-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I shoot the 19 better than my 17. I don't know why, I just do. Once I put a magwell on the 19 I instantly have an ever better gripping gun.
    I am in the same camp. have yet to try the magwell, though.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Taran?
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Taran?
    Used a zev pro for a bit but took it off recently. Gana try the Magpul.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List