Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to understand dialing long range scope - any videos?

Site Supporter

Trying to understand dialing long range scope - any videos?

I am trying to learn more about dialing long range scopes - in my case Vortex Viper PST 6-24 MRAD Gen 1. Anyone have a favorite link to a YouTube video, article, etc. I have looked at my search engine skills seem to be lacking

Can you elaborate a little more on the issue? It would help in directing you.

Site Supporter
    I am new to long range shooting - I want to better understand how to use the elevation and windage exposed target turrets to "dial" for distance shooting versus using holdover or using the reticle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I am new to long range shooting - I want to better understand how to use the elevation and windage exposed target turrets to "dial" for distance shooting versus using holdover or using the reticle.
    Welcome to the addiction of long range shooting! The general rule is to dial elevation and hold windage. Start by getting your rifle zeroed. 100 yards is the most common distance used to zero. If you have a chrono, get solid muzzle velocity readings for your rifle and load. Even better, do this at different temperatures. Input your data into a ballistic app - e.g. Shooter, Applied Ballistics, Strelok, etc. Use the app to determine elevation at various distances. Dial in the appropriate number of MILS or MOA on the elevation turret. Press trigger to the rear. Repeat as necessary to confirm hits at various distances. Tweek inputs into ballistic app as needed. Enjoy.

Site Supporter
    Demo I have used to try and learn. Honestly, would be worth it to me to buy the full version if I actually got into long range shooting.

http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html

Wyoming Shooter has most of the basis covered.

MRAD and MOA are angular measurements in degrees.

The bullet travels in an arc whenever it leaves the barrel. It does not travel in a straight line. Some say that it is dropping as soon as leaves the barrel but this is not always true as it depends on the angle of the barrel. One thing that is for certain, the bullet will start slowing down when it exits which is knowing your muzzle velocity is critical.

When you are turning the knobs on your scope, you are changing the point of aim, which is changing the angle of the barrel. In the case of your scope it is in millradians which is basically 3.6" for every 100 yards beyond your zero.

Here is a nice simple ballistics calculator that you can use to figure out your point of impact as well as roughly how many mils to dial.
    http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-re...ics-calculator

It will give you an idea on what is going on with your load and what adjustments you will need to make for different distances.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    Demo I have used to try and learn. Honestly, would be worth it to me to buy the full version if I actually got into long range shooting.

http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html
    This is the software I used to get a grasp of it, basic tutorials and lessons that all get the point across.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I was also going to recommend shooter ready. I had some links to other info but Im having a hard time finding them right now. I will post them up once I locate them.

Here are some articles from a very knowledgeable source on the subject.

http://www.arcanamavens.com/LBSFiles...ds/References/

There is also online training at snipershide.com for a nominal fee.
    Last edited by shane45; 06-02-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    MRAD and MOA are angular measurements in degrees.
    Something happened to part of my text when I hit submit. The above should say "MRAD and MOA are angular measurements as in degrees are to a protractor, etc."

User Tag List