Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Update on Deputy involved shooting: trial and photos

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    To be clear of what I'm looking at in the first photos, the bump is the bullet inside the defendant, stopped by the skin where an exit wound would be?

You did an exemplary job in handling the matter from the perspective of supporting your people. But, you already knew that.
    Most folks outside the profession have no idea how badly a lot of agencies handle the aftermath.

jlw - thanks for sharing these.

Of course the defendant hasn't been sentenced yet but I spent a good deal of time on the phone late this afternoon talking sentence with the ADA who did a great job handling this case. I expect the state will ask for a sentence appropriate for the crime. I don't want to speculate on what the Judge will do, but I suspect he will be in prison for a considerable amount of time. JLW testified not only to our UOF policy but as to training and firearm design and function. He was qualified as an expert witness....kudos to him for being prepared to testify as completely as he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Most folks outside the profession have no idea how badly a lot of agencies handle the aftermath.
    ^^^^Truth!

Glad its over and glad it worked out like it did. Pointing guns at Oconee County Deputies is an excellent way to get shot. Attaboy all around for the OCSO!
    Instagram @JuryTrialJedi

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Do you have any more information that you can share about the suspect's injury? I can't tell if the bullet went more or less straight through the lateral chest wall & lungs before stopping just short of exiting his back, or if the bullet deflected off one of his ribs and followed the arc of the bone until resting underneath the thoracic wall on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Do you have any more information that you can share about the suspect's injury? I can't tell if the bullet went more or less straight through the lateral chest wall & lungs before stopping just short of exiting his back, or if the bullet deflected off one of his ribs and followed the arc of the bone until resting underneath the thoracic wall on the other side.
    It through at just the perfect angle to not strike any vital organ.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    It through at just the perfect angle to not strike any vital organ.
    But the path of the bullet travel was straight (ish), not curved around the rib?

Either way the suspect was very lucky. I spent the first 3 minutes looking at the photos wondering where the chest tube was.

Great work by your deputy. I hope this is the last OIS you investigate in your career, but if it isn't, I hope they all go just as well for everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    But the path of the bullet travel was straight (ish), not curved around the rib?

Either way the suspect was very lucky. I spent the first 3 minutes looking at the photos wondering where the chest tube was.

Great work by your deputy. I hope this is the last OIS you investigate in your career, but if it isn't, I hope they all go just as well for everyone involved.
    If you watch the video, he was turning as he was hit. It took a shallow angle through the body and managed to not hit anything vital.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Sentencing was today. He got 20 years with the first 15 in confinement along with some other stipulations.

We had 100% support from the community in this OIS. We put the word out early and shared the video on our Office FB page within about 15 hours of the shooting. And of course, fat country music singers don't have much of a protest base, so all in all it was all good for the good guys. Don't point guns at my deputies unless you wanna get shot.

User Tag List