Thread: Gas Port Data

Gas Port Data

On a whim, I whipped up this form, for those of y'all that know the gas port of your barrels: https://goo.gl/forms/gxSiVMP0jITBxV2v1

It will auto-populate this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I will need to periodically clean up the formatting, but it should be usable even if I don't.

Self-measuring variables aside, there is a good deal of variation amongst same manufacturer, same barrel length, same gas length.

Thanks for putting it together. Any specific drivers for why you're compiling the data?
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-05-2017 at 09:23 PM.

That's cool. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Self-measuring variables aside, there is a good deal of variation amongst same manufacturer, same barrel length, same gas length.

Thanks for putting it together. Any specific drivers for why you're compiling the data?
    Sons of Liberty Gunworks has been keeping gas port data on barrels passing through their shop for a few years. Their data supports StraightR's statement.

Might be worth giving them a call if you are looking for something specific.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-05-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Any specific drivers for why you're compiling the data?
    I just want to surpass my hero: rob_s, and his Chart.

Other than that, not really, just idle data gathering. I'm personally mostly done with ARs.

Gas port data alone is nearly useless. You need bore taper (if any), bore ID, gas-block and gas-tube interface data, etc.

Currently, I am running 0.0735" (pin-gauged by me) on a 14.5" middy. Without the details of my bore dimensions and other data though, this data is moot.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-01-2018 at 04:07 AM.

User Tag List