Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonna be a nice summer in Philly

Lots of people seem to lose their shoes in Philly, I used to see lots of black and white ones hanging over wires on the streets in parts of the city.

As a city the place is like a KO'ed boxer still staggering around on his feet.
    Last edited by Chuteur; 06-02-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuteur View Post
    Lots of people seem to lose their shoes in Philly, I used to see lots of black and white ones hanging over wires on the streets in parts of the city.

As a city the place is like a KO'ed boxer still staggering around on his feet.
    So two reasons you'll see shoes over wires in various cities in the US, specifically.

#1 is that it's a sign of gang turf/area. The shoes will be of a particular color, usually the shoes of an opposite gang - so crip's would hang bloodz shoes which were taken from a bloods gang member in crips areas.

#2 is when someone in the neighborhood (usually a drug dealer or the like) got new shoes which were highly sought after, remember the Jordan rage more than a decade ago? The locals, who could not afford such shoes, would find and beat up the person who had these shoes and then "roof" or "string" the shoes as a symbol for all to see.

/hood culture lesson
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Ah my beautiful hometown, once saw an OD in the Camden county courthouse bathroom right across the bridge from there, so libarys are not surprising in the least. The level of depravity in the area truly makes me sad, many parts of Philly look more like the night of the living dead, then a city of the first class.

Found some typical Philly for you
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Found some typical Philly for you
    This is what Philly is typically like in reality...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvk...4UglJ_h3KC4e9g

Last edited by NGP; 06-02-2017 at 02:55 PM.

We lived in N. Philly for a summer back in 2009 (5th and Cecil B). Coming from NE D.C. I thought the people in Philly were pretty nice, the food was great, and generally it was a decent, blue collar town.

But yes Francis, There are crackheads everywhere, especially in poorer areas. They're just more visible in cities compared to suburbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    So two reasons you'll see shoes over wires in various cities in the US, specifically.

#1 is that it's a sign of gang turf/area. The shoes will be of a particular color, usually the shoes of an opposite gang - so crip's would hang bloodz shoes which were taken from a bloods gang member in crips areas.

#2 is when someone in the neighborhood (usually a drug dealer or the like) got new shoes which were highly sought after, remember the Jordan rage more than a decade ago? The locals, who could not afford such shoes, would find and beat up the person who had these shoes and then "roof" or "string" the shoes as a symbol for all to see.

/hood culture lesson
    I do not doubt your word, however I thought it indicated type of product available on nearby street corners. S'wot it means in the UK and I had a copper mate in Florida tell me that isnwhatnit means there too.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I would be quite angry if my wife had a cardiac arrest, or a colleague were to be shot, and could not get help in a timely manner because all nearby EMS personnel were busy with opiate overdoses.
    I would also be quite angry if something happened to my family, because nearby EMS personnel were dealing with heart attack cases where the patients had cholesterol into the four figure range, 40+ BMI, and had never bothered to exercise in their lives.

Once you start drawing lines as to who is worth saving because of moralistic reasons, it's really easy to move the line.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

We already do. Most people accept that fat guys are typically far more productive members of society than nasty ass junkies.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I would also be quite angry if something happened to my family, because nearby EMS personnel were dealing with heart attack cases where the patients had cholesterol into the four figure range, 40+ BMI, and had never bothered to exercise in their lives.

Once you start drawing lines as to who is worth saving because of moralistic reasons, it's really easy to move the line.
    I said nothing about drawing any lines, moralistic or otherwise.

User Tag List