Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practice your head shots.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    No kidding.

The more I think about it the more I think a suppressed SBR is the ultimate home defence long arm.
    Hated paying the ATF, but having shorty with me is well worth it.
    "We do not rise too the level of our expectations, rather we fall to the level of our training"
    Archilochus, Greek Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Not too bad. No Castle Doctrine. But we can use force to protect life , either your own or anothers. Once you've got a license for a firearms you can carry most places as well. Its a violent country so it happens pretty often too.
    If you conceal a weapon for self-defense, and generally try to stay out a trouble, are the chances on the side of having to shoot someone?

I have a friend who traveled to South Africa in 2008. She said there were corpses laying on the side of the road in a few places.

Stay safe.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you conceal a weapon for self-defense, and generally try to stay out a trouble, are the chances on the side of having to shoot someone?

I have a friend who traveled to South Africa in 2008. She said there were corpses laying on the side of the road in a few places.

Stay safe.

In South Africa trouble find you

Seriously though. Like everywhere staying out of trouble spots will reduce your chances of getting in trouble. But nonetheless you can do everything "right" and there is I would guess a lot more chance than getting in a fight than in the US. Pretty much everyone has either been effected by violent crime or at least has had someone close to them affected by violent crime. Happens in the nicest places to nice people looking to stay out of trouble.

So short version yup from time to time guys have to shoot badguys, probably a lot more than over there.

WRT the corpses. Oftentimes visitors to our shores are shocked at the corpses on the side of the road. They are generally just people sleeping. Really. Find a patch of grass and someone will be sleeping on it Corpses on the road are normally the result of car accidents etc and are normally sorted out efficiently and well.

Its actually a cool place for all its flaws.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

If what I am about to say is completely wrong,someone please disabuse me of this notion:

Surely,a CM shot with a 12 gauge/00 buck,or .45,on someone wearing body armor,will distract them enough to allow you to get a head shot. No? This is assuming that you don't know they have armor.If you do know,then the first shot should be a head shot.

Depends on their mental state at the time.

From Tapatalk:
    Jack Leuba
    Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
    F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Practice your head shots.

Why would you take a body shot first? Maybe it's the shot that's available to you at that time. Certainly, take whatever is available to you in order to make them stop trying to kill you.

ETA: does that mean that shot is effective? Depends on too many variables.

Why .45 or 12 ga?
    Last edited by Josh Runkle; 09-04-2015 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Razor View Post
    Hated paying the ATF, but having shorty with me is well worth it.
    A bullpup takes care of the length and the ATF both at once

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WCDUB View Post
    If what I am about to say is completely wrong,someone please disabuse me of this notion:

Surely,a CM shot with a 12 gauge/00 buck,or .45,on someone wearing body armor,will distract them enough to allow you to get a head shot. No? This is assuming that you don't know they have armor.If you do know,then the first shot should be a head shot.
    Depends on the armor, the dedication of the individual, the angle of impact, etc. Our SWAT guys have been hit in the armor by some serious rounds and kept on taking care of business. Not terribly long ago a couple of them got hit in the armor, one got a through-and-through to the leg, and they finished the job.

Quote Originally Posted by WCDUB View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Depends on the armor, the dedication of the individual, the angle of impact, etc. Our SWAT guys have been hit in the armor by some serious rounds and kept on taking care of business. Not terribly long ago a couple of them got hit in the armor, one got a through-and-through to the leg, and they finished the job.
    IIRC, when Rich Davis was first demonstrating Second Chance body armor, he would shoot himself with a S&W M29 .44 Magnum, then turn the gun and shoot a few bowling pins off of a table.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    IIRC, when Rich Davis was first demonstrating Second Chance body armor, he would shoot himself with a S&W M29 .44 Magnum, then turn the gun and shoot a few bowling pins off of a table.

Relevant section starts at about 2:10.
    Last edited by Drang; 09-05-2015 at 09:07 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List