Thread: Installing a Tripod QR Plate on the Magpul Hunter 700

Installing a Tripod QR Plate on the Magpul Hunter 700

What follows is an easy and secure way to install a quick-release plate on the Magpul Hunter 700 stock for direct connection to a ball head. In my case I am using an Arca-style plate, the same that I use on my camera gear and what my ball head clamps accept. This attachment method should work fine for other style plates.

The plate I used is similar to this one found on Amazon for $12.50 – Desmond DP60 P-60 60mm QR Lens Plate Quick Release Arca Swiss Compatible

Photo below shows my desired spot on the stock to mount the plate. This is an ideal location for maximum strength due to how the forearm attaches to the integral aluminum block;

This job can be done with basic hand tools, a Dremel tool with cut-off disc and a hand drill (a drill press will make it quite a bit easier). The attachment hardware was purchased at a local Ace Hardware for about $11.00;

2 – 10 X 24 Allen head screws, 3/4” long
    2 – 10 X 24 Allen head scews, 1” long
    2 – 10 X 24 flange nuts
    1 – JB Weld epoxy

The lower half of the stock’s forearm can be removed easily: remove the two screws on the sides of the stock by the magazine well and all of the screws in the barrel channel. By gently spreading the side panels near the magazine well, the lower half of the forearm can be removed.

If you have access to a drill press, you can hold the QR plate in the correct position on the lower forearm and drill through both the plate and forearm in one pass. Since I did not have access to one, I carefully marked and drilled the holes through the QR plate by hand;

I removed the rubber grip-strips before drilling the holes, then cut holes in them with a paper punch before reinstalling them in the bottom of the plate;

I then marked the lower forearm and drilled it separately, using a slightly larger bit to allow some range of adjustment to get the QR plate perfectly positioned.

The flange nuts I purchased were round and had to be cut to fit inside the lower forearm. I used a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel and cleaned up the cuts with a file. After test fitting the QR plate and flange nuts with the 1” long screws, I mixed up a batch of JB Weld. I applied just a dab on each flange nut then secured the QR plate to the stock, making sure it was perfectly centered and positioned on the bottom of the forearm just the way I wanted it;

In the photo above, you can see the internal webbing of the lower forearm. Also seen are the three attachment points where the forearm clamps on to the integral aluminum block, making this a good spot to place the QR plate.

Once I was happy that the QR plate was precisely where I wanted it, I tightened the screws and filled the void with JB Weld to fully embed the flange nuts for maximum strength;

Below are three photos showing the stock’s integral block and the forearm’s three attachment points to it. The screws pass through from the barrel channel through the block and engage threads in the lower forearm (which has molded-in bushings to fit tightly in the screw holes of the block) effectively clamping the lower and upper forearm pieces to the block. With the way all the pieces fit so tightly together, it’s easy to see how Magpul attained good rigidity on the forearm.

The QR plate was attached to the forearm using the 3/4 longs screws;

With the plate attached this way it should stand up to plenty of recoil abuse without fear of breakage or coming loose, and can be easily removed if desired. For those who wish to shoot their Magpul Hunter 700 stocked rifle on a tripod without the use of a saddle, I hope you find this post useful!

Nicely done! The epoxy is a good idea as that area could probably use the extra strength.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List