Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TFB article - Love In The Time Of Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I doubt instructors in the shallow end of the gene pool GAF whether you learn or not as long as the CC goes through.
    Truth!
    "A man's character is his fate."

If I was teaching I don't think I'd trade instruction for an AAR. I would have a detailed evaluation at the end of class to see if anybody got what I thought I was teaching them. I doubt instructors in the shallow end of the gene pool GAF whether you learn or not as long as the CC goes through.
    Many think/feel this way, they would wrong though. Good AARs are extremely important to having valid information put out there for everyone to see by a third party. Especially when the third party is someone who can speak legitimately on the subject. An instructors reluctance to allow this to occur is pretty telling on their overall opinion of social media and their perspective students in general.

Interactive AARs directly after a class isn't a thing, I don't know if it would be either.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I would have a detailed evaluation at the end of class to see if anybody got what I thought I was teaching them.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Interactive AARs directly after a class isn't a thing
    I think it is doubly hard to do...

First, I believe it takes some time and practice after training for one to have an adequate perspective on what what was really learned. One could discuss how the class was run, safety protocols, etc. but most prospective students are more concerned with the material covered IMO.

Also there is the issue of one feeling comfortable being totally frank with the instructor who may have just under-delivered or otherwise dropped the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    I think it is doubly hard to do...

First, I believe it takes some time and practice after training for one to have an adequate perspective on what what was really learned. One could discuss how the class was run, safety protocols, etc. but most prospective students are more concerned with the material covered IMO.

Also there is the issue of one feeling comfortable being totally frank with the instructor who may have just under-delivered or otherwise dropped the ball.
    This should be done instantly, especially out in front of other students right away, in my opinion.

I have done this numerous times at LE-only classes (which I do not do AAR's for, but usually have some sort of "Rating" system after the fact). Bad or inadequate instructors should be told where they are lacking and given a chance to fix their issues (or stop training people...)

More students need to be more honest with their opinions and observations. Though obviously a student may have an incorrect/wrong or biased opinion of something being instructed, either way, their opinions should be made public as there is a very valid learning progression not just for the instructor but for the student as well.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    For a shooter at 90% of max skill and techniques who's been there, done that with just about every trainer then that opinion might hold some weight. For everyone else it's throwing out the baby with the bath water.

There are some trainers who closely follow your model. Most of them seem to be retiring soon whether they like it or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Sadly I think you're correct, but on a much grander scale. The concept of critical thinking and fact based decision making are quickly being replaced with cool, hip, fancy and emotional appeal based decision making.

Maybe there is a middle ground. FB, YT... are used as advertising platforms. Go there and see what's up: then do your research on the person or school.

I'm not saying that you need to go crazy, especially if you're looking for a $100 1 day local class. Thankfully, my budget at this stage wouldn't be all bent if I went to low cost class and walked out 10 minutes into the session cause I though the guy was a dumbass. However, if I'm dropping $500+ ammo+ travel... you bet your ass I'm doing more than looking at someones Facebook page and going here is my CC#.

This should be done instantly, especially out in front of other students right away, in my opinion.

I have done this numerous times at LE-only classes (which I do not do AAR's for, but usually have some sort of "Rating" system after the fact). Bad or inadequate instructors should be told where they are lacking and given a chance to fix their issues (or stop training people...)

More students need to be more honest with their opinions and observations. Though obviously a student may have an incorrect/wrong or biased opinion of something being instructed, either way, their opinions should be made public as there is a very valid learning progression not just for the instructor but for the student as well.
    As a new instructor I could not agree more. My "feelings" are absolutely secondary to my performance.

I want to know how good of a job a student believes I've done (whether their opinion proves fact-based or not) and address any issues straight away. I feel this kind of feedback can enrich other students also by setting a bar for expectations of future training...

Many think/feel this way, they would wrong though. Good AARs are extremely important to having valid information put out there for everyone to see by a third party. Especially when the third party is someone who can speak legitimately on the subject. An instructors reluctance to allow this to occur is pretty telling on their overall opinion of social media and their perspective students in general.
    My opinion of social media is pretty low and I never said I was a marketing expert. I agree that a legit AAR is good for prospective students, because it gives them perspective on the class. It's that some will see a positive AAR of a free class the way they see gun reviews in magazines.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

My opinion of social media is pretty low and I never said I was a marketing expert. I agree that a legit AAR is good for prospective students, because it gives them perspective on the class. It's that some will see a positive AAR of a free class the way they see gun reviews in magazines.
    I totally agree, that is where the integrity of the person writing the AAR is important and the method of which the AAR is put together is just as important.

It really all boils down to education for the lowest common denominator of consumers in this market. If someone wants to go to a class they will do some googling and maybe have some names in their head about what they want to do. One of the reasons why vickers is very popular, not because he's a great instructor (I do not believe he is), but because he's a big name and dozens upon dozens of shitty AAR's exist talking him up. We have instructors on this forum who are probably 10x the instructor he is, but they are lacking two things which makes the difference, name recognition and documented (and photographed...since it didn't happen if there isn't photos of it), none of which can be done without social media, AAR's or good marketing.
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    ...Maybe there is a middle ground. FB, YT... are used as advertising platforms...
    ..However, if I'm dropping $500+ ammo+ travel... you bet your ass I'm doing more than looking at someones Facebook page and going here is my CC#.
    A discerning person takes your middle ground and more. There's no reason to assume everyone puts their brain in neutral when viewing FB/YT/IG/LMNOP. There's no logic in assuming FB/YT has nothing with value to trade for the promo.

I've greatly benefited from some select media channels. Most recently in search of training recommendations for family.

I have barely skimmed the AARs for Gabe's class. Not worried about it.
    #RESIST

User Tag List