Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone loading 300 BO with coated bullets?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I have a metric ass ton of Palmetto Projectile coated bullets for 300 BLK. PM me your info if you want and I'll mail you a few hundred to try out. (No affiliation with them but they are local to me). I would give the leatherheadbullets a shot though as well. LL seems to have luck with them. With respect to LL's post, +1 on the 30 carbine powder die for proper case mouth expansion with coated projectiles. If you end up the cases sticking to the powder die (which almost feels like the press is stuck or caught on something) use some imperial sizing wax around the outside of the powder die, or just don't clean your brass as long. Either one works really. Additionally make sure that you check your new loads for proper stabilization without the suppressor/silencer on the gun. I am thankful that someone told me this because as I was working up my loads and at one point I ended up with signs of keyholing. It would seriously suck to jack up a new suppressor especially with the wait times these days.
    I certainly appreciate the offer! I will hit you up when I'm nearing my readiness. Still sourcing a 300 upper, as well as dies, various 650 parts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I love TG for pistol! Where are you located, I am sure we can find a home for yours.
    I'm in SW LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    What is the draw to use garbage bullets in a .300 BLK? Genuinely curious about the motivation behind it.
    In the interest of full disclosure I co-own and operate Leatherhead Bullets, LLC., one of the companies that manufacture the bullets you refer to. On the retail side of our business the .300 Blackout 220gr bullets is our best selling product. In my experience there are two types of people who purchase coated bullets for the .300 Blackout. The first is the guy who is trying to save some money and shoot a little more. The second is the hobbyist/tinker type who the reloading process is a hobby in itself. A lot of these types enjoy cutting down their own brass and the reloading process is as satisfying as the shooting. As mentioned by GuanoLoco, at subsonic velocities and with some diligence one can avoid the dragons associated with loading coated bullets.

I hope this post doesn't come off offensive in any way as that isn't my intent. I am also not trying to sell anything; it is my personal opinion that we should buy local whenever possible.

Sean M, thanks for your service and congratulations on your retirement.

Ok. Thanks for the replies.

I understand trying to get more bangs for your bucks. I use plated bullets myself, for high volume shooting at low velocities.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 06-01-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure I co-own and operate Leatherhead Bullets, LLC., one of the companies that manufacture the bullets you refer to. On the retail side of our business the .300 Blackout 220gr bullets is our best selling product. In my experience there are two types of people who purchase coated bullets for the .300 Blackout. The first is the guy who is trying to save some money and shoot a little more. The second is the hobbyist/tinker type who the reloading process is a hobby in itself. A lot of these types enjoy cutting down their own brass and the reloading process is as satisfying as the shooting. As mentioned by GuanoLoco, at subsonic velocities and with some diligence one can avoid the dragons associated with loading coated bullets.

I hope this post doesn't come off offensive in any way as that isn't my intent. I am also not trying to sell anything; it is my personal opinion that we should buy local whenever possible.

Sean M, thanks for your service and congratulations on your retirement.
    Thanks for replying in my thread. Do you have any advice on what powder people are using for your 220s?

BTW, you are pretty spot on. I've been an avid reloader for about 22 years or so(started with a 650 when I was 15). It's something I enjoy doing just as much as shooting, the cost savings is just an added benefit.
    Last edited by cjb1911; 06-01-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    Thanks for replying in my thread. Do you have any advice on what powder people are using for your 220s?
    Funny you posted this. I was going to ask if there was any interest on his part in starting a thread on: avoidance of possible issues, (especially with suppressor use), take aways he found pertinent from his experience in loading them, and ways to maximize performance. Not too long ago I completely settled on .308 and 300 blk. I am heavily invested at this point and would like to settle on 1 sub round that doesn't cost the earth and offers sufficient accuracy for my purposes so I can shoot it more frequently. I also would love it if I could cut the smoke down a bit from them.
    Last edited by Mike C; 06-01-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    How far out? LL posted something a while back about a company that made some pretty heavy jacketed HP projectiles. I think they were expensive but no where near $2 loaded. I found the link he posted. These looked promising: http://outlawstatebullets.com/2.html
    That was loaded ammo with solid copper expanding HP bullets at about$1.95/round when bought by the 20ct. box.

I have some Hard Cast HP pills from a N.O.E. mold that I am playing with. If I can work up a load that stabilizes at 980-1050 fps AND reliably expands, I'll buy the mold. I just haven't had time to do much experimenting yet.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=999
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 06-01-2017 at 08:49 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post

BTW, you are pretty spot on. I've been an avid reloader for about 22 years or so(started with a 650 when I was 15). It's something I enjoy doing just as much as shooting, the cost savings is just an added benefit.
    1680 is the Holy Grail for subsonic .300 Blackout. 10.2gr is where I would expect to land depending on the OAL (start at 2.065" with a profile like the 220 offered at Leatherhead Bullets). I personally don't get hung up on commercial case gages for coated bullets, I use the chamber of the barrel the rounds are intended for. Commercial case gages (except for the hundo) are SAMMI spec and coated bullets are not SAMMI spec ( they are usually .001"-.002" larger).

Quote Originally Posted by dsa View Post
    1680 is the Holy Grail for subsonic .300 Blackout. 10.2gr is where I would expect to land depending on the OAL (start at 2.065" with a profile like the 220 offered at Leatherhead Bullets). I personally don't get hung up on commercial case gages for coated bullets, I use the chamber of the barrel the rounds are intended for. Commercial case gages (except for the hundo) are SAMMI spec and coated bullets are not SAMMI spec ( they are usually .001"-.002" larger).
    +1 on that, one of my chambers is cut with a throat significantly shorter than the other.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Any one running these in a bolt gun (like Max from Tomorrow War)? I just traded an optic for an AAC Remington Model 7 compact collaboration bolt gun that takes AICS mags. I am just getting into reloading and looking to find some loads to run through it.
    Last edited by Elkhitman; 07-30-2017 at 07:00 PM.

I built a .300 BLK bolt gun. Traded it for a Jason Burton 9mm series 70 commander. Also have an AAC handi-rifle which I kept. I found the AAC to be better suited for my uses, but the R700 was a fun project, and worked well. Name:  IMG_0081.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  59.2 KB

I really only use three loads for any .300 BLK..... my go to garbage/range ammo is 208 grain Hornady Amax bullets in front of 10.2 grains of 1680, I also use SMK 220s with the same powder charge. And I buy Barnes 115 grain super sonic loads for situations where hate and discontent are required.

I have a handful of 187 grain subs from GemTech that run my 12.5" AR so-so..... (they have had some cycling issues), but the bullets perform well at subsonic velocities, and it really is a powder puff load in terms of recoil. Would be interesting to see how they do from a bolt gun......... very quiet, and fun to shoot. Eliminating the bolt cycling noise would make for a very quiet package.

Black Butterfly Ammunition is now making .300 BLK, and has some really interesting stuff in their product line, and in development. He is also pretty open about sharing some of his info and testing data. You can find some testing stuff on YouTube. They load my high performance.458S ammo. Worth looking at for ideas on where you might want to go with your own load development.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 07-31-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List